Door lock

The front passenger door on my 2000 Buick Century would not unlock. The mechanic unlocked it but said it needed new parts. He charged me $670. Is that a fair charge? I am almost 92 years old and I wonder if I am being overcharged. Richard A. Johnson (dick6me@att.net)

If the door lock would not respond to either the inner lock, external key or the FOB, then the front seat has to come out in order to remove the door panel to get at the lock. Thats a lot of labor in todays cars.

He was overcharged. He could have just left the door unlocked. For security he could have had an alarm installed for $150 to 175.
I am having trouble believing you have to remove the front seat to fix the door. It’s my belief that when a car mechanic gets his or her hands on your car it is an opportunity to over charge. Car related charges are one of the most common complaints to the Attorney General. Chances of finding an honest car mechanic are like winning at Roulette.

WAL
"I am having trouble believing you have to remove the front seat to fix the door."
If the door wouldn’t open, then you need to remove the seat next to it to get at the door internals to get the door to open. Even then it’s not easy as you have to work through the car from the driver’s side.

The way it was worded I assumed the door was opened or unlocked and then repaired. I had assumed that the mechanic used the usual tools to open the door.
It may have caused some cosmetic damage but I think the door could have been opened w/o removing the seat. Considering the age of the car and its value I would go for the damage. I believe the door could have been opened w/o removing the seat.
That is a big chunk of a Soc.Sec. check.
He could have parked the car in Boston with a 22 dollar bill on the dash. Some crook would have opened the door.
I actually have the same car and fixed a power window it didn’t look that complex in there.