Doing Clutch Replacement in Walmart Parking Lot

What are your mechanical skill level from 1 to 10. Clutch replacement is not something I would attempt in a parking lot.

Try driving it somewhere else close by at night. Try not to hit red lights. If you have a store that’s out of business or just a lot that’s not used that would be better. You might still get hassled but should be less likely than Walmart. It’s not like your selling crack, just fixing a car.

Just as a FWIW here. There was a restroom that opened to the rear of my shop and I left it open for the homeless or anyone else who came along to prevent having the door torn off and for several weeks when I got to work by 6:00 I found a clean cut conservatively dressed man in his 40s exiting. When questioned he said that he had gone bankrupt and lost everything he owned except his car and the clothes, etc he could pile in it. He had rented one of the drive in personal storage rooms where he virtually lived. He kept his job and used my restroom as needed until he could get back on his feet. He found a short garden hose used to hose out the restroom and actually showered using it. He left the restroom cleaner than he found it so I had no complaints.

My shop was just 2 blocks from the Salvation Army so there was a constant parade of homeless in front of the shop.

3 Likes

Our shop is not in a desirable location . . . many gangsters, homeless people and drug addicts are in the area

We have virtually no problems with the homeless, more so with the others. The others scale the fence . . . or cut it . . . and wander onto the lot, breaking into containers or vehicles, looking for stuff to sell at the metal recycler and/or pawn shop. The homeless people just hang around the area, collecting cans and bottles, and hoping for an occasional handout.

When I was much younger and didn’t have access to a garage, I was also forced to do several repairs late at night. As has already been discussed, timing was important. Speaking of timing, I’ve done a few timing belts at night, as well. It’s kind of ominous working alone at night. No radio, nobody to talk to, can’t even talk to yourself, if that’s your thing. Not even power tools, because the noise increases the chance of getting “caught”

2 Likes

Im glad you all are understanding

That storage unit you mentioned . . .

Is it large enough, that you could perform the repair INSIDE it, and close the door as needed, while you’re away from the vehicle . . . ?

In other words, is it large enough, that you could “hide” the car inside it, and nobody would be the wiser, while you go back and forth, gathering the parts and tools needed for the repair . . . ?

Had a dishwasher guy living in a storage unit, he got busted because the owner saw an extension cord going to it, he was living in the unit with a tv an a space heater, had enough food to eat while working, nice guy, tough times.

My car is pretty small and all i need is a 14 fter ive done repeairs in ones that size b4. But since its Sunday there closed im waiting till tomorrow

1 Like

I ran a self storage for a few years. Our rules were no after hour presence on site, doing vehicle repair would get your lock cut and replaced and you would have 72 hours to vacate.

Ive lived in a storage before i used a light bulb socket outlet to power my space heater.

They are warmer, but i still slept in my car inside the unit. The only problem is most storages are filled with pests. A huge gray rat got in my car (on bottom not in cabin). It was a female because it tried building a nest out of leaves stuck under my back bumper. I got it out when turned on the car grinding it up.

Let’s stop condemning the guy, please

Sure, what he’s proposing would entail breaking a few rules

He knows the risks

But his resources appear to be extremely limited, and he literally has very few options

Would you guys rather have him be arrested, lose the car and live in a homeless shelter . . . ?

I’d rather see the guy perform the repair, and regain the use of the car. That would allow him to be mobile, and hopefully allow him to somehow better his situation

Having use of a car isn’t always necessary for survival . . . lots of factors come into play . . . but it can sure be helpful

1 Like

At night you can hear them screaching and fighting. Another storage i did a repair in had tons of roaches. People keep food in their units.

Ive only done outdoor units so i expect to infoor climate controlled ones are better. The only problem is you are locked in after a certain time so what happens when there is an emergency? Jump the fence and call an uber because your car is locked in there?

I only got caught once. I was used a unit to replace my cat got it done. Then I came back months later to change a wheel bearing the guy got suspicious then started to try catching me. Watching cameras, watching when i was sign in and out ect… Then he came early to see me sleeping in my car outside of my unit. He just kicked me out. Not a big deal. He wasnt mean either, really courteous guy actually.

Update: Bought a unit for cheap furst month “free” cost 48$. I got stuck on the starter screws my screw drivers are too small. The screws are partially stripped. Most of the stripping was done by someone before me. Stopped around 230am. Im getting thicker screw driver and will use a rubber band.

Someone came to the units around 230am. Scared me. They came in through the front gate which is password protected. The gate is supposed to be locked at 10pm. Im pretty sure my code wouldnt work if i tried this but i never tried b4. I wonder who this person was.

No, absolutely not. That’s why some of us are trying to suggest doing the work elsewhere.
Encouraging him to replace the clutch assembly in the Walmart parking lot is what’s likely to get him arrested, lose the car, and end up in a homeless shelter.

It is compassion for the guy that drives our comments. If we didn’t have that, we wouldn’t care where he changes his clutch.

Good you got somewhere to work on it. This is a job where you’re going to run into a lot of snags, might be one days labor but ends up taking 3 or 4 days for a DIYer.

2 Likes

Alright so the next snag im expecting is the drive shafts. I seen a video of a guy really struggling with his driver side. Is there a trick to it? Also can i reuse the snap rings?

My brother has a 40’ bluebird school bus parked in a storage facility. We removed the ford 391 engine and transmission while in the storage unit. My brother has lost interest and the 391 fully machined and built ready to install has been in my shop now for 3 years or so. he has been paying storage for the bus for years now. He planned to do a skoolie conversion.

i have done my fair share of parking lot repairs in the past but never something as complex as a clutch. Typically easy stuff like starter, alternator, water pump, belt, hoses, fuel pump etc. These were all easy stuff on a older ford truck.

In college dorm parking lot, I did head swaps, exhaust swaps. In my dorm parking lot, I welded the exhaust on my truck. My brother had a pipeliner that i borrowed. The campus cops rolled by and were not amused but not surprised give all the other repairs that they have seen me do in the parking lot. This was much different than the OPs situation so I don’t want to marginalize his situation.

I have helped my brotherinlaw do a clutch job on my sisters FWD suv. It was a major PITA. I don’t plan to attempt one again unless I am in a shop with a lift.

you are replacing clutch disc and pressure plate? and throwout bearing and slave cyl? what exactly is wrong? no pedal?