Dog having panic attacks in car only on highway

Do you by chance have ceramic break pads on your car? I had this problem with my dogs when I had changed to ceramic pads. Shitched back to the semi-metallic and the problem went away.

I’m not sure. I’ll ask the dealer what comes stock.

VET says Rockit does have a urinary track infection. He said dogs senses are so much greater than humans that’s it’s possible vibrations could be inflaming his urinary infection. He said antibiotics for a week and pain meds and give him a car ride in a week and go from there.

Wow! I don’t know anything about cars, but was reading your questions and everyone’s answers. Just want to say Rockit is quite an interesting looking dog! Never saw a dog like that, pretty neat. Hope he is getting well and things work out for you traveling with him.

Perhaps Rockit’s anxiety attacks have been a blessing in disguise. Uninary track and kidney infections are very serious in dogs and cats. You are fortunate to have gone to the vet and found the problem. Our veterinarian detected a kidney disorder in our dog, Kasey, last August when I took her to have her teeth cleaned. A routine blood test showed elevated levels of phosphorous and other substances in her blood from kidney problems. We put her on medication and she improved for a while. Then, late in December, we had to go to stronger medication. Kasey seemed to improve until New Year’s day, where she steadily declined all day long. We lost her on January 8th of this year. Kasey was 10 1/2 years old. You were right on target to go to your veterinarian. Changes in behavior in older dogs often indicate a problem.

Good looking pup! Looks like a shorter haired version of my Blue Heeler/Border Collie mix, Moppit. (So named because when she was little she’d get excited and then I’d have to moppit!) She has no problem with gunfire as long as I’m holding the gun, but the Fourth of July sends her right off into the deep end of the pool! When we go to town during firecracker season I have found a product that helps her stay calm. It’s by a company named Bach and is called Rescue Remedy. It’s a natural, homeopathic stress reliever. It doesn’t dope her out. It just lowers her anxiety level. Works well for Moppit! Good luck.

I think the vet is an excellent first stop. The dog could be suffering from an inner ear problem or some related malady, especialy given his advanced years.

Sincere best.

Did you recently add a roof-rack, bicyle rack, or? The wind might hit your rig and result in high frequencies that start in about 50 MPH (maybe only your dog can hear). I had noise from a car rack that my husband couldn’t hear. I tied a rag to the rack and it dampened the metal so it couldn’t resonate… Others have mentioned noise being the problem. Hope my idea helps. Poor Fido, Poor Rockit! Good luck.

Eleven year old dog — as they aged, two of my dogs developed weird behaviors around some noises that they Never were bothered by before. We think that as their hearing goes, they are less able to discriminate “good noise” / “bad noise.” Also, as they age, most dogs get less tolerant of the world’s occasional oddities because the dogs are more vulnerable. Try an herbal calming… a reputable natural-medicine vet could help you. A ride is most dogs very fun thing to do – hope your riding times improve.

What’s the latest on your dog? I’m curious to hear the rest of the story.