Does the remote entry work better when pointed at your chin?

Awesome explanation. I just graduated with a EE degree and have just a technician license, and as soon as I heard it, I was thinking antenna orientation. But it never occurred to me you could make a crude antenna with your mouth. Cool!

Ivan, KI4LWC

Okay, so what are your qualifications? So far I have seen not only engineering graduates, but at least one professional engineer and not just radio enthusiasts, but people who have spent enough time and effort at amateur radio they have earned the highest class issued by the FCC. What more do you want? Nikola Tesla himself weighing in?

Love this topic, although it’s been beaten to death over 7? years now . . .

I am a retired Electronics Technician 9 years Navy 32 years Fed. Civil Service either working on Airborne Radar systems or as a ground based Radar Operator ( tracking the Space Shuttle, Missiles, ships, planes, rockets, etc.).

I am pretty sure that Ray’s “Dispersion” theory is the most likely answer.
This of course only works with remotes that use Ultrasound and not Infrared or some other light emitting remote.

The Ultrasound enters the bone structure and resonates (vibrates ?) the skull which makes it an extended OmniDirectional antenna of sorts where the receiver will more likely pick up some part of the signal versus a direct shot at the receiver where it might be hit or miss. Keeping in mind that most often there isn’t a direct “Line of Sight” shot from the remote
(while lying on the couch) and a possibly cockeyed receiver, or from the lower position of the couch up toward the receiver.

I haven’t tried it yet, but I am thinking of taping a thin piece of tissue paper over the end of the TV remote to see if that will disperse the signal enough to trigger the receiver. Bearing in mind if you point the remote toward the ceiling seems to work well too.

Finally, I don’t believe these ideas “Extend the Range” of the device but simply makes the dispersion of the signal more effectively hit the target.

Rotsa Ruck with everyone’s Experiments !

An Addendum: Not just Ultrasound, but Radio Frequency (RF energy) types of remotes.

Addendum #2:
I have also come to the conclusion that the signal does not necessarily shoot straight out the end of the remote, but it spreads out perpendicularly from the end of the remote so if you point the remote up in the air or to your left or right might help trigger the receiver better than pointing it directly at the receiver.

Based on all you’ve said, and from what’s been in the news lately I’d have to guess that maybe these guys who have been experimenting with taking over people’s cars remotely MAY have been doing their early experiments in your area . . .

That’s the best I can come up with. Rotsa Ruck with that !

As a kid I my job was to hold the rabbit ears on my family’s tv while moving my arms and legs in various positions until “I Love Lucy” came in clearly. I’d get my sister to take over when “The Flintstones” came on. This chin-pointing thing could work.