Does my transmission fail?

There’s no sign or symptom with the transmission except the knocking noise sometimes when I change the gear ( P to D, D to R, R to N, D to N, etc.) I always make sure that the car stops completely before shifting. The fluid has normal level and a little brown with burning smell at the time. It was changed 10k miles ago

Today when driving on the streets (around 35 mph)!, the car lost all power. I tried throttling it, the rev went high but the car stood still. I put it in P and there was a loud noise. I turned the car off and started it again. The car didn’t move an inch after I shifted and there was so a loud noise when putting it in P again.

After getting towed, the car rolled down hill when being in P.

With all being said above, does it mean that my car transmission fail?

09 Honda Accord 3.5

That’s not good.

Tester

It was changed 10 miles ago ? and is already brown and smells burned ?

Why was it changed ?
Was the correct transmission fluid used?

A CV joint may have broke or the gear shift cable is broke or disconnected. Does the gear position indicator on the dash match the shift lever position in park, reverse, drive etc?

1 Like

Edit: the fluid was changed 10k miles ago as a regular maintainance every 30k miles. According to Tester’s photo, the fluid is on the second condition, no action is needed. The indicator is still working and it shows which gear I’m in. The CV axle leaks but it isn’t as bad as the right one that was replaced 30k miles ago.

This happened after I made a turn. Can it be the CV joint on driver side failure?

It could be a transmission failure or a CV joint failure, we can’t tell without looking at the car but any competent mechanic will be able to as soon as he sees it.

Set parking brake, put the front of the car on jackstands, put it in drive, and look at the cv axles. If one side of the cv axle turns and the other does not, you’ve found your problem. Broken cv axle. Use caution when doing this, of course. If neither end of either cv axle rotates when in drive, the trans is shot.

To rule out a broken CV joint your shop should be able to raise the front end, then turn the front wheels one at a time by hand to verify whether or not the axle rotates all the way from the wheel to where it connects to the transmission.

He had the car towed so I assume it is at the shop. Yes if a CV joint goes, the car will not move. It doesn’t have to leak to come apart. Ask me how I know. On mine it kept going forward until I put it in reverse to go into my parking stall, then all the ball bearing fell out. Either one though, transmission or CV will be readily apparent when the mechanic looks at it.

Since the shop is full, the car can be only inspected in the parking lot. The mechanic told me that the Duralast CV axle on the passenger side fails. He wiggled it around with bare hands. Lol. It was replaced 3 months ago.

Isn’t that Auto Zone? Try a different brand. Don’t go to all that effort and put a junk part in. The only thing I buy at AZ are light bulbs.

I have no idea that they are selling junk. The shop that replacing it for me keeps saying it has lifetime warranty but it’s more of a garbage than I expected. I had to get rid of it although it’s just 3 months and bought a new pair from NAPA

Update: the CV joint is the culprit. There’s nothing needed replacement besides that