Does it make a difference where I buy my car?

Hi, I’m preparing to move from SC to Denver, CO. Someone once told me that cars sold in colder states may be equipped with some kind of weather treatment to better handle the snow, etc. Is there any truth to this, and should I wait to get my new car till after I’ve moved to Colorado? Or would I be just fine buying it in South Carolina and driving it up to Denver? For what it’s worth, I’m thinking of getting a new Honda Civic. Thanks!

I can only mention 2 2003 fords and a trailblazer we bought, they had a cold weather package that I think was only a 110 vac block heater. As far as anti slip etc. I do not know.

Yes , wait till you get there and then you can have just one state to register and have insurance on the vehicle . As for the weather treatment that means a extra cost paint protection that only benefits the dealers profit margin . Besides many dealers are more prone to handle warranty problems on vehicles that they have sold .

4 Likes

As a follow on the @VOLVO_V70’s good advice: if you are taking a car to Colorado, you may have to register it within a couple of months. You might want to buy the new one before you have to register the old one. If you trade the old car when you buy the new one, no problem. Otherwise, you need to sell the old one. Maybe people will be happy with a SC car, depending on whether you lived on the coast or not. Even Summerville is far enough away from the ocean to avoid salt corrosion, but maybe not Georgetown.

1 Like

Might want to check out any tax issues with registration. It cost my nephew $700 for plates on his car.

Vehicles sold in cold climates can be equipped with a “cold weather package”, that may include a block heater, battery blanket, grid heating for the interior, etc.

Paint protection is not part of a cold weather package.

1 Like

Another vote for “buy your car where you plan to live”. Especially if you are buying new.

1 Like

I believe if you buy a car in Florida the equipped tires are designed for hot road conditions and if you buy a car in Michigan I is equipped for cold road conditions. They have very distinct differences.

Much of this question depends on the condition of your 98 Civic in your other thread,. Your other thread only discusses the catalytic converter and O2 sensors. What about the rest of the 98 Civic? Tires, cooling system?
It’s a tough call. I would prefer buying the new car in Denver.

1 Like

A relative of ours bought a new car in Massachusetts two years ago, and then moved to Colorado after six months.

The car she purchased in Massachusetts is the same as what she would have purchased in Colorado. Dealer service in Colorado has not been a problem at all.

Not necessarily. They could be talking about cold weather packages, which can include things like heated seats/steering wheels, headlight washers, wiper de-icers, heated side mirrors, etc.

1 Like

No, cars sold in Florida have the same tires as those sold in Michigan. They buy the same replacement tires sold in Michigan. Like everywhere else, they buy all-season rubber. Mostly for rain.

The cars sold today are exactly the same whether sold north or south. The only difference is California emission controls or the rest of the country (Federal emissions). The cold makes no difference although you might find block heaters installed. The altitude no longer makes a difference due to closed loop fuel injection control but it used to require different carburetor jetting back in the day.

3 Likes

And you don’t need any of those packages unless you live in EXTREME cold (-30). Places like White mountains or Alaska. Even here in NH…those packages are a waste of money.

1 Like

Thanx for the correction. I was assuming they were stocked differently because I’ve see cars coming from Florida with harder rubber which isn’t condusive in Michigan. I must have been seeing replacement tires.

There have been a few special Camaro and Mustang models that come with very, very soft summer tires that are recommended not to be used below 40 degrees F! Sold nationwide! Cold states and warm ones!

They wear out in 10,000 miles, too! They make the numbers better for special performance models… better 0-60, better handling, better stopping, better track tires. Camaro 1LE, Mustang GT350R Cars you wouldn’t drive in the snow anyway.

Speak for yourself. I like my heated seats.

1 Like

So does my wife. We have them in her Lexus, but I never use it. And heated seats is a comfort package…not a winter package.

1 Like

For Lexus. For other makes it’s often part of a cold weather package. BMW, for instance.

On the Lexus is standard. Same with many other Toyota or Lexus vehicles. It’s standard depending on trim level. The Highlander it comes standard with the most of the upper levels.

Yeah. Acura too. I find it… Beyond bizarre that a BMW “luxury” car would not have heated seats standard, but when I took my mom in to buy her X3, she had to option them in. Of course, on BMW, even the sliding sun visors are an extra-cost option. And the “Electrical Reliability” package can’t be bought at any price. :wink:

2 Likes