Does it make a difference where I buy my car?

Life will be simpler if you buy the new car in Colorado, if only because of the DMV stuff. Just sell your old car within a month or two, with the South Carolina registration.

And lots of States, including maybe Colorado, now use the California emission standards as their own. I’ll bet some manufacturers just build everything to California specs for US sales.

2 Likes

Colorado does, both the LEV and ZEV standards. (14 states plus Washington DC adopted LEV standards, and 11 of those 14 adopted the ZEV standards)

1 Like

There are a few makes that still have a specific carb state version, but it’s more common to see 50 state legal on the emissions sticker.

Ouch! What state did your nephew buy his plates for? Was it a special kind of vehicle or anything?

Thanks everyone for your good advice!

Living in nd, mn and wi 15 degrees and below I used the block heater. Heard 30% of engine wear happened in the first 30 seconds. Makes starting easier and more reliable on those cold days.

Naw just a Jeep Cherokee or something. Lives in Denver but bought it when he was home in South Dakota. SD plates would have been something like $35. Mine were $300 in Minnesota but Denver was $700.