Does it ever hurt to change the trans fluid?

I just bought a 99 Accord with 118k (@ time of purchase) and now is pushing 123k.

I check my trans fluid regularly and was considering changing it soon as preventative maintenance.

When I talked to my mechanic for a quote, he warned that if trans fluid goes a long time and then is suddenly changed, it can ruin the trans.

The fluid in my car is currently a light red/magenta and looks/smells just fine.

I’m thinking it was changed around 90k per. Honda owner’s manual and I was thinking it may be prudent to change it again, 33k miles later, but i’m erring on the safe side.

The way I look at it, changing the fluid is a $40 insurance policy for the transmission. Should I go ahead and do it now, and then every 30k from here on out, despite the excellent condition of the fluid ?

jmw

The only way it will hurt to change the fluid is if you put the wrong kind in. If changing it kills the transmission in short order, it did not have long to live anyway.

People usually wait until the tranny fluid turns dark and has a burnt smell to it before they consider having the tranny fluid serviced. But by then the tranny fluid has broken down and possible tranny damage has been done. So they hope a tranny fluid exchange will save the tranny. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn’t. The secret is not letting the tranny fluid get to that condition. So, if you don’t know when the tranny fluid was serviced last, your logic makes perfect sense.

Tester

Yes make sure that actual Honda atf is used on the change, nothing else.

So they hope a tranny fluid exchange will save the tranny. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn’t.

And when it does not work they blame it on the change.

Thanks everybody!