Does anyone make retreads anymore?

With such a litigation happy country I think any company even considering recapping automobile tires would have to be run by utter fools.

@ok4450 Statistics say a lot. The US has one lawyer for every 400 citizens. Japan has one lawyer for every 10,000 citizens. To foreigners it appears that in the US you can sue anyone or any entity for just about anything and a happy lawyer will take your case.

There is a public complaint in Japan that there should be more lawyers since many civic and business issues take too long to go to trial. There is apparently no shortage of criminal trial lawyers.

To keep tis on an automotive theme, years ago a guy in Texas driving home from a party stone drunk and piled his car into tree at close to 100 mph. He died but the widow somehow survived.

The widow sued Ford and WON over 3 million dollars.

The case was determined by a sharp-eyed lawyer who discovered the standard tires on this Ford model were good (safe) for 85 mph continuous duty, and this WAS NOT MENTIONED IN THE OWNER"S MANUAL!

Since the driver far exceeded that limit (illegally) Ford was deemed liable.

A Ford Explorer today has, in addition to the owner’s manual, an equally thick booklet describing the difference in behavior of an SUV and how to drive it safely. Pure CYA.

I have one of those accordion folding sunscreens you put on your dash to keep the car cool. It says in large red letters: “Remove before driving off!”

This is the kind of situation that makes many things more expensive without adding any value.

...the loss of shoe repairmen who will resole a shoe.

Google “shoe resole” for mail-in shoe repair.

;-]

Yeah its a lost art. I remember we used to have a couple repair shops. One man operations in a little space. We still have one left associated with an all service shoe store. I did have an Italian belt re-sown and a shoe re-sown once but I wasn’t really thrilled with the quality. I think the guy just can’t see very good anymore.

As for big trucks It is only legal to run retreads on non-steering axles. That’s for tandem axles I’m not sure about the super big singles where they have one large tire in place of the usual two.

That site has some P215/60/16 tires that I could use on my 2012 Camry. They are $57, I just bought 80000 mile, H rated Goodyears for $82 per tire after rebates. Not worth messing with recaps.

1 Like

@Docnick, that widow suing FOMOCO is utterly ridiculous and I blame a lot of that garbage on low watt jury pools who have that “get the big guy with deep pockets” mindset.

The last couple of days TV here has been plastered with a law firm trolling for victims. According to them Johnson and Johnson baby powder is actually powdered death.
It’s claimed there are over 1200 lawsuits now over talcum powder.

Man I’m really getting off topic but tried finding that Crest tooth paste neat squeeze tube we’ve been using for years. Looks like they pulled it from the market. Why? Class action lawsuit claiming they couldn’t get the last 20% out. Like what idiot didn’t know that? We really need to make a hard turn back to reality again before its really too far gone.

I’ve been seeing those baby powder - powdered death commercials here too. I notice Johnson & Johnson stock has been skyrocketing lately though. . .

I notice that ever since that Vioxx debacle, the pattern seems to be, they blanket the tv with ads for some new miracle drug you’ve just gotta take, followed in about six months or so by the lawyers - did you take this drug, did your liver fall out, did you get cancer, did you have a heart attack, you may be entitled to million$ of dollar$!!! I told my doctor straight up, I don’t want to be prescribed any medication that hasn’t been in widespread use for at least 10 years. . .

Especially funny is the Zarelto / Eliquis commercials, sometimes immediately followed by a lawyer commercial saying you can sue if you took these pills, like, the VERY NEXT commercial! W.T.F.?

“The last couple of days TV here has been plastered with a law firm trolling for victims. According to them Johnson and Johnson baby powder is actually powdered death.
It’s claimed there are over 1200 lawsuits now over talcum powder.”

Yes, there are a large number of bottom-feeding lawyers out there, trolling for clients.
However, the other side of the coin is that the problem of talc contaminated with asbestos fibers was known many decades ago.

How do I know this? Because my mother’s Gynecologist warned her to stop using talcum powder in her nether regions, and that warning came in the late 1970s! However, not every woman sees a Gynecologist, and of the ones who do see a GC, if that MD is not aware that his patient is using talcum powder, then the GC might not think about warning them away from those products.

If my Mom’s Gynecologist knew about this hazard ~4 decades ago, surely J&J also knew about it.
Just as Johns-Manville and other asbestos producers knew about their product’s health issues long before public revelations, and just as the tobacco companies knew about the health hazards of their products decades before the feds began warning about the dangers of smoking, it’s fairly obvious that J&J opted to NOT place a warning on their packaging about this known problem.

Doesn’t a company bear some moral and legal responsibility to warn their customers about a known health-related problem related to the use of their products?

@Bing I remember many moons ago a little plastic device that looked like a key. It had a slot in the shaft and fit around the bottom of the toothpaste tube. You wound the tube up as you used the toothpaste and you could squeeze most of the toothpaste out of the tube. Another idea would be to mount a vice on the bathroom sink so that more toothpaste could be squeezed from the tube.

@Triedaq I have one of those but with a heavy ceramic base with a lithographed picture of a 1907 Buick on it. Works great, but the light plastic ones were too light and kept falling over.

“Another idea would be to mount a vice on the bathroom sink
”

Vice in the bathroom can get one into just as much trouble as engaging in vice anywhere else, so I discourage that practice.

;-))

@VDCdriver Let’s leave each to his own devices.

You guys are a hoot.

Never any regrooved tires on schoolbuses,recaps allowed on rear.Commercial trucks used to allow retreads on front or rear (dont know if that changed or not-UPS used to run recaps on the front of the Brown vans) Commercial trucks regrooved allowed on rear only.
Most truck tire failures caused by under inflation ,the tires get so hot they disintergrate ,now DOT has became so strict they wont allow any tire with an expired date to be retreaded .Bandag used to be the leader in retreaded tires ,failures very infrequent,
I used to get repaired tires for the dumptrucks all the time and run them without any problem,the cost was almost the same as a recap and if you were careful you could pick out a set with almost new tread depth these repaired tires are graded and repaired very carefully,usually they are takeoffs from fleets with small puncture wounds that dont compromise belt integrity .The holes are carefully cleaned, resized then plugged and vulcanized or cured in a special kiln.
Huge construction equipment tires can actually be rebuilt ,its a somewhat involved process ,but they can pare these things down to the actual belts and start again .
One reason owner operators shied away from running recaps on the front was (it wasnt about the tire blowing out ) it was because if you shed a cap (gatorback ) you could destroy the fiberglass front end on the trucks and of course if you did lose air pressure directional control was compromised.
Some recaps are still very popular in rugged conditions were the risk of destroying a new tire is as great as an inexpensive recap.
The schedule or allowance on tire type allowances came from an 90s DOT manual ,some of this info has probably changed by know (I am probably the only driver in the company I used to work that made at least an half hearted effort to familiarize myself with laws because the regulation book was provided .

Love my vices ,but I dont want anything below a certain level to get in my vise (dont like the plastic tubes anyway ,I did kinda like the old metal tubes (they used have scrap value ).

I’m fleet, and we’re only allowed to run retreads on non-steer axles . . . in other words only on the front axle

Our retreads are Bandag, FWIW

When we request tires from our tire shop, we have to specify new or retread. If it’s for the front axle, I specify new. If it’s for the rear, I specify retread

Some guys are NOT careful, and they either don’t specifiy, or they specify retread. And it’s for the front axle . . .

When I do visit the tire shop in person, which isn’t often, I do see the bad tires outside. Obviously, many of them are eventually going to be cores for retreads. Among the bad tires are ones that have lost their treads. I STRONGLY suspect the vehicle operators are to blame, because most of them do not ever check their tire pressures. And almost none of them ever perform the required pre-trip inspection. There are many trucks that technically should have been taken out of service, until proper repairs were performed, and the truck retested. When you get a truck in for routine service, and one of the duallies doesn’t hold air, and is being held up by its mate, you KNOW the vehicle operator did not check the tire pressures.

But most of the bad tires I see outside the tire shop are clearly the victims of curb checking or road debris

"To foreigners it appears that in the US you can sue anyone or any entity for just about anything and a happy lawyer will take your case. " - Doc

Sounds like foreigners have us pretty much figured out
 :smiley:

People the world over . . . some of whom weren’t even alive at the time, let alone barely know ANYTHING about the USA . . . know about the McDonald’s coffee lady :smirk: