Dodge truck milage

On my earlier post I talked about the mileage on my truck dropping from 13-14 to 10-12 mpg. What I was hoping for was about 15-18 mpg, is that feasable with this truck ?

I don’t know what kind of Dodge you’re driving, full-size or Dakota. I would: Get it tuned; check the engine contol module; or check the transmission and make sure it is shifing into the final drive, assuming it’s an automatic.

2000,full size 4x4,5.9,auto, 265/16 tires, 30K miles
seems like it is shifting fine, rpm’s are around 15-1600 @ 55mph
What does the engine control module do ? How do I check it ? I had it hooked up to a dianostics computer and nothing shows there.

It is what it is

I used to get about 11-13 with mine in the city, and about 15-18 on the highway. Same specs as yours except a couple years older. You’re not doing too bad. Has it had a tuneup recently? Also, I used to get a little better mileage with higher octane gas… of course the increase was offset by the increased price of the gas.

Ok, you can try synthetic gear lube, transmission fluid and engine oil. You might save something. Eighteen is possible on a very long highway trip. If your transfer case uses ATF, I don’t see any savings there from switching fluid. If you have oversize tires, switch to the recommended size. That is about all you can try that can help. The summer formula gasoline will help when it starts being used again.

Do you carry anything around that adds significant weight?

The engine control module (the computer) would give a service code when you had it diagnosed, and you said that nothing showed there. But, since your truck is a full-size with 4-wheel drive and V-8 engine, I would say the mileage you are getting is acceptable. If it’s paid for, drive it and pocket the difference between gas money and a new truck payment until you are ready to sell/trade. And buy something much smaller.

Air

Don’t worry about the control module or anything dealing with the ignition. The truck is running, right? All you can really do is keep the tires properly inflated and pay attention to where you buy gas. Some stations order the supplier to put additives into their delivery, or they just buy the fuel that has the additives in it. A lot of these additives just act as filler to make you think you are getting more fuel per buck. On the other hand, some additives are honestly put in to help your injectors last longer.If your mileage sucks, try a different octane or differnt station until your mileage comes back into an acceptable range. You also have to take into consideration who else drives the truck and what kind of traffic differentails you have.

I changed the plugs back to what was recomended on the sticker under the hood, checked the tire pressure, (it was within a couple of lbs.) Already appears to be a little over 13 mpg. When it warms up I will try synthetic in the drive train.