Do you tip car service shuttle guys?

I usually give them 2 or 3 bucks, I have never heard sorry we don’t accept tips. What is your practice for say a 5 mile ride?

The car service I use for airport runs adds 20% to the charge as a gratuity. I did find out from a source that works for the company that the company keeps that money, so I’ll usually give the driver either $10.00 or $20.00 in cash.

Yup!
Back in the days when I drove a limo as a summer job, the company billed customers 15% for “gratuities”, but none of the drivers ever saw more than a very small fraction of that money. Luckily, a few customers gave cash tips.

Park and fly to the airport I do $5 each way. Uber about 20%. I give myself a bigger tip when I drive. I’ve never used a service to the shop-biked or walked. I suppose I should have tipped the tow truck drivers over the years but never really thought of it. I did tip the carpet layer and the tree guy. When possible I make it a habit of paying the tip in cash though partly because of some of the crazy rules now for waitress tips and minimum wage. Oh wait, haven’t seen a waitress for a while.

When I was a waiter way back then, there was 10% tip based on your sales automatically added to your income! You could feel free to declare more.

Funny story. City workers decide to remove city-owned tree from park just down the street. Big two day job, big trucks, lots of branches. I have a few branches of my own from trees I’d been pruning, so I ask them if they’ll haul my branches away at same time. They say “ok”. I say, “thanks”, and I’d like to give them a tip for their trouble. Worker says “we aren’t allowed to accept tips from residents, but sometimes when we do jobs like this we’ll find money under a rock, like that one there” … lol …

4 Likes

I tip the barber too and the Mail person at Christmas. I’d tip the mail person more regularly if that cute one with the long red hair came back though. Guess she has a different route. Yeah sexist I know but still.

I don’t consider that sexist behavior. Common thing since the beginning. If men lost all interest in cute women, big population decline would follow. That can’t be good.

+1

Before I began to cut my own hair, I used to give the women at the local barbershop a very nice tip each time that I visited. Between the Pandemic, and then floods that wiped out their shop, I learned how to cut my own hair, and am unlikely to seek those services again.

My “mail lady” gets a very nice box of Belgian chocolates from me each year at Xmas time. They aren’t supposed to accept cash, plus I don’t want to induce her to compromise her principles, and she seems to be delighted with those gifts every year. She says that I am one of the few mail patrons who never forgets her, and an added bonus is the opportunity to discuss progressive politics with her during her brief stops.

2 Likes

Careful what you give the mail carrier, it could cost them their job, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted.

Carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a customer per occasion, such as Christmas. Furthermore, no employee may accept more than $50 worth of gifts from any one customer in any one calendar year period.

They have to report gifts received to the supervisor and what address it came from. Failure to report it will cost them their job, and because the USPS is known to set traps to catch them, it’s safer for the carrier to report the gift.

I’d give a raised middle finger to an employer that “set traps” for me

4 Likes

I worked for the Post office for 20 years before I had to go out on disability because of a bad car accident on the way home from work. 10 years as a letter carrier and 10 in charge of the mail trucks in our office. I never heard of having to report anything to the supervisor. and yes, your only supposed to be able to get a certain amount but no one follows that. and I have never heard anyone getting fired for excepting Christmas tips of any amount. granted I have been out of the Post Office since 2003 so things could have changed since I left.

Ha ha ha. Way back my bachelor boss was unhappy with his cleaning lady. So he out a penny under his bed to see if she vacuumed it. When the penny was still there he fired her with cause. I thought what a jerk. Not every unit will pick a coin up plus I’ve had the plastic fan destroyed picking up a hard object like that. Spose if she would have picked it up he’d accuse her of theft. I still went t his funeral though and generally got along but just an elite in his own mind.

Me too. I have been fired from my share of jobs in my life, but who cares? Every time I got fired, I found another job which paid at least as much as the one I left. These days, jobs are plentiful, and applicants are scarce, so never forget that. A refreshing change from the harsh economy of the Bush recession, when good jobs were as rare as a hen’s tooth.

3 Likes

I am as cheap as the day is long, so I avoid using services where tips or gratuities are customary or expected. I don’t eat in restaurants, don’t order delivery food, don’t use taxi/ride-share/shuttle services, and so on. Literally, the only service I use where it is necessary to give a tip or gratuity is getting my hair cut, and fortunately, I only need that service 2-3 times per year.

1 Like

Back to free shuttle services—I am inconsistent. If I have $1.00 bills in my wallet, yes I tip a few. If from a “park and fly” service and I have significant luggage, definitely tip.

Once had extremely horrible service at a cafe, few customers, our waitress got the order wrong, could not get her attention, she spent the time chatting with another waitress, I left $0.02 with a note: “For your thoughtful, attentive service”.

3 Likes

I once did the same thing, sans note. The waiter–who clearly hated his job–SLAMMED every dish down on our table as he delivered it, and was being verbally abusive to the women at the next table. I left him two nickels, and he actually chased me to the door, screaming at me. I wonder what his next job might have been…

1 Like

It seems most of those airport shuttle services, taxis, etc. rely on tips. The people who check your baggage in at the curb also work off tips. These guys make your check in at the airport so much easier so it is well worth a few dollars.

The full service hotels can be annoying. EVERYONE there is looking for a tip. Some only offer valet parking and such. You can’t even carry your own bags to your room. Someone just grabs them and of course expects a tip. Then you have to pay extra for internet which is free at the cheaper places. There are also no free breakfasts which some of the lower cost places usually offer.

1 Like

You should have slugged him when he started screaming at you.

I don’t think they actually rely on tips, but I bet they sure like unclaimed cash. I looked it up, the nation wide salary for airport porters is about $33k/yr or about $15/hr. Not great but it’s something.

1 Like