Do you tip car service shuttle guys?

He was clearly not right in the head, and that reality–coupled with the fact that he was a LOT older than I was–made me just make some choice comments and exit the place.

This was back in the late '70s, so I was probably 29-30 years of age, and that crazy waiter was most likely in his mid-late '60s. The age difference wouldn’t have gone down well for me if I hit him and he filed assault charges.

For the shuttle bus that takes you from the airport to the hotel, I typically tip $5 each way, assuming it’s like 10 minute trip or thereabouts.

For a private car service from the airport to hotel (~30 minute trip), I typically tip $20 each way

For Uber, it depends on the length of the trip (though I’ve only used Uber maybe 3 times in my life), but usually $5-$10.

You are absolutely correct,on all points.

Maybe a big population decline is needed/inevitable. But I likely tip pretty ladies more than men too. Blame my male genes.

And yet the usps can’t fire custodians that sit and play cards ALL day.
And I DO know this is a problem. Been there smelled that!!

1 Like

I never know what to do at drive-through windows , like at a fast food place, that have a big tip jar sitting there.

I may be about to reveal my darker side but… In the '70s I was a taxi driver in SF. I was at the shuttle bus from the air port stop an a rather attractive lady approached my cab and said “Could you help with my luggage” I said sure (I would have done that any way) I will give you a BIG tip?.I said OK. She chatted on the the way to a pricey hotel and said she was a Barbizon ‘trouble shooter’.
I helped her into the hotel and she gave me a quarter tip. I was in shock for a moment or 2. I will separate my reply for fear of sensor ship.

1 Like

I followed her back in the hotel and threw the quarter at her and said once a … always a … And I am sorry for any aspersions against …
But not for what I said to that women.

On another note I try to tip folk a bit more these days as everything is costing more. I am sure many do not as some just can not afford the extra these days.

It seems like tipping discussion can go forever . In my area if a radio talk show hosts runs out of ideas what to talk about, scheduled guest is a no-show, or current topic isn’t getting anybody to phone in, they often bring up the tipping topic, immediately they have dozens of callers.

I guess certain countries/cultures tip and others do not. It sounded like some businesses decided to charge more and just get rid of tipping. This reduced the incentive for service people to provide good service so it went back to the old way of tipping.

I hear service people hate certain nationalities/cultures because they are so cheap and will not tip. This may be the way in their country but not here.

I was in Athens, Greece. There was a well reputed sandwich shop. One guy I met went there 3 times and never got served. I went there, great suvlaki first time. I lefta whatever note for a tip, and he said I take offence at that, I am the owner and do not accept tips!

Strange place. We were there right in the middle of their financial crisis. On Wednesday afternoon, every business and bank shut down for the afternoon like they were all going golfing. Couldn’t buy a sandwich or anything until they opened again at five. I though if I were a business in trouble, would I shut down in prime time? But their tax problem is largely because people feel no obligation to pay their taxes. Culture.

When my daughter moved to the Middle East a few years ago, my wife and I went for a visit. My daughter knows I’m a generous tipper, and on the way out to dinner, she told me “you don’t tip that much here”. She said when the check is presented, as you give the server your payment card and y ou tell them how much to add. I gave her my credit card and told her to grab the check when it’s presented. I calculated it afterwards and found the tip to be 10%. She told me that’s what Is customary.

The folks in New Zealand who knew I’m visiting from USA asked me to never tip at restaurants, b/c it isn’t the custom there, pay rates compare w/other similar non-tipping jobs, and foreigner tipping only causes problems, both for restaurant owners, and for residents of NZ.

Lots of funny stories about language differences when American is traveling outside USA. English is language in NZ, but some word means are different. I asked for a “napkin” at restaurant, but that means a Kotex in NZ. Asked for oil and vinegar salad dressing in Norway, but “oil” there means motor oil.

My CPA BIL got really upset in Italy because he thought the table cloth charge was for the table cloth and not the service charge for a table. He does watch his pennies.

1 Like

Do they use the term “serviette”? It seems that many–perhaps most–nations use that term for a table napkin.

2 Likes

Don’t know. I decided best to just bring my own napkins.

Had oil change at dealer. New car. Tech left oil fill cap off.
Oil covered motor at my house.
Dealer sent flat bed to get my car and cleaned motor.
Then they returned it.
Wish I could of tipped oil tech monkey.

1 Like

Yeah, doesn’t sound like a fun job.

One thing that ticks me off at restaurants these days is when they sell you bottled water instead of bringing you a glass. I could buy a 40 pack at a warehouse club for less than they charge for one bottle at a restaurant. I ordered two waters at a pizza place the other day and was charged like $5 each. The pizza was good but I don’t think I will go back for that reason alone. There is a taco place in town that does this as well. The food is great but this ticks me off.

I am tempted not to tip as well but I know the servers have nothing to do with this policy.

1 Like