Do you recall these gas stations?

Borh of those purchase rewards could be explained with the same phrase; “When ya gotta go, ya gotta go”.

2 Likes

Glad someone remembered Hess with their nice toy trucks!

Here in Washington (at least in the Greater Seattle area) it was Enco that put the “Tiger in Your tank”

I remember Enco, Chevron, Standard, Mobil, Richfield, Texaco, Shell, Gulf, Gull, Union 76, Phillips 66.

My 2 sons have a nice collection of the Hess trucks. Some of those older ones go for BIG money. Some of those Hess trucks go for several thousand dollars. Both my sons had fun playing with them for hours and hours. They looked forward to them every Christmas. Even though Hess no longer has gas stations, you can still buy their truck every Christmas.

According to Sinclair’s website they have 1400 gas stations in the US selling top tier gas and an app for your phone saving 10 cents a gallon at the pump. Still using the dino logo too.

1 Like

Hess still has some stations this is just in VA.

I thought Hess sold all their stations. Learn something new. Hess was big here in the North East. I guess there were some Hess stations not included in the Speedway buyout.

Speedway buys Hess retail, becomes nation’s no. 2 convenience store chain | Grocery Dive

Wow I had no idea that there were no more Hess stations, I know the local one closed a few years ago and I always see the trucks advertised at Xmas.

I see, I do not think our local one is now Speedway. I will check next time I pass.
It might be Hess sold the Brand for stations to someone.

Marathon bought-out Hess’s gas stations and re-branded them as Speedway.

Except those that are perhaps still Hess:

Blockquote

In 2021, 7-Eleven acquired Speedway from Marathon, bringing the former Hess locations in the fold. Due to antitrust reasons, the Federal Trade Commission forced 7-Eleven and Marathon to divest 291 Speedway locations to third party buyers; the majority of those locations were former Hess locations in Florida and New York, as well as several in California that Marathon had acquired in its 2018 acquisition of Andeavor.[37][38] As of 2018, Hess locations remain in select states including Connecticut.[39]

Blockquote

Last time I passed through there the one in Annandale VA was still a Hess. It’s been a while though.

Still “Hess”, but undoubtedly not owned by the old Hess Corp.
Selling one’s trademark is an old business tactic. It brings in some cash, and there is virtually no downside for the seller. A few examples are Bell & Howell, the Twinkies name, and also the entire Calvin Klein brand.

Another is Sinclair. Those gas stations with the dino are a different company than the original Sinclair, which became part of ARCO in 1969. In 1976 the Sinclair brand was spun off by ARCO, so that’s the origin of the current Sinclair.

2 Likes

Hopefully still top tier gas as the Dino is my goto these days.

I remember inflating my ‘Dino the dinosaur’ toy when I was about 5.

I was 10! But 5 at heart.

I wonder what’s the oldest gas station in the USA that’s been in business continually at same location since they opened?

Our neighborhood was Sunoco , Mobil , Gulf , Arco and their predessor Atlantic . Hess was also around .

1 Like

I
Guess that would be a question for the historical society. I will say there is a shell station in town that has been in the same place for at least 70 years or longer. He had the aaa wrecker contract and wouldn’t give it up. Seems to me the place dated back to the twenties. The owners brother was a family friend. About 1958 expanded next door for a marine shop. The kid took over and made everyone mad with his attitude and rates, but the deal was he would be the only aaa wrecker service. That’s where the money was I suppose. About five years ago he was bought out by an out of town wrecker company. It’s been over 50 years so don’t remember if there was a clause the he had to stay put. He did have aaa over a barrel though for many years.