Do you ever make useless noise so the wife is thinking you are working hard?

Not a car this time, pilot light went out on the furnace, was down to 60 degrees,So re lit it, I will put in a new thermocouple tomorrow. But I decided to do some extra clanging of the cover to make her think I was working hard. Reminds me of a christmas story and the old man cursing up a storm for the furnace or a flat tire.
Any of you add extra drama, sound effects etc. just to pretend you are working hard on cars of course, or anything else?

@Triedaq should probably not respond as we know his better half watches this forum.

2 Likes

Not necessary for me, usually the noises come out, usually some choice words, with stubborn parts. Changed blades on the lawn mower a few weeks back. The previous blades hade been installed at the shop, I suspect they used an impact gun. Took a three foot breaker bar to get them loose, then found my replacement blades had the wrong mounting hole.
Seems most times jobs around the home require a minimum of two trips to the hardware store.

3 Likes

I have the opposite problem.
My wife thinks I work too much.
I’m like a shark, gotta keep moving. Combined with occasional perfectionism.
Sometimes I have to tinker quietly so she’ll think I’m relaxing.

3 Likes

Nah, I have a small shop. Comes in handy. “I’ve got to take this piece into the shop. May need to put it in the vice”…and drink a beer or two…maybe turn the ballgame on the radio…:grin:

In all honesty, I like to get stuff done pretty quickly if I can. I don’t do a ton of work falsification. Probably the opposite really. I’ll go to the shop to drink a couple of beers and wind up accidentally working on something.

My equivalent to the old dad’s furnace in the Christmas story is our dang ice maker. The water supply keeps freezing up, I keep thawing it out, changing the water filter, etc. My last resort is replacing the water inlet valve, but I hate to throw a $150 part at it in hopes that it’ll fix it. I’m 90% sure it’s letting a bit of water by to drip and freeze in the supply line. Friggin new fangled side by side contraption!

1 Like

Decades ago Consumer Reports wrote that a large percentage of refrig problems reported were ice maker related.
So I’ve avoided that option.
Anyway, you don’t put ice in your beer, do you? Problem solved! :beer:

2 Likes

I have in an emergency!

2 Likes

If you don’t want to fool with it anymore, you can buy a countertop ice maker. I haven’t owned one and can’t vouch for any on them, but you can pull the ice maker out of the freezer and open up more space for deer steaks. Deer season is pretty close now, isn’t it?

Another fun device! I used to shop at a liquor store that had a cold water circulator. The water was about 32F but didn’t freeze because it was constantly moving. Put your favorite beverage bottle or can in the bath and within a few minutes, it’s cold. Hey, you can make your own circulator. It could take a couple weeks and a case of beer to finish this project! :wink:

2 Likes

You know, I actually don’t hunt. Weird, I know. I’m not averse to guns (not an afficianado either, I view them as a tool and I have one or two just in case and I know how to use them), I really like the woods and viewing wildlife, I love me some tasty meat, and I’m a red neck in the south with a 4wd truck and all. But, I’ve never gotten into hunting. I would love to shoot that refrigerator, though. Maybe mount it on the wall…

5 Likes

If you do that think of all the extra storage space you will have. :grinning:

I never got into hunting either, but that’s not hard to believe for a big city boy. I’m happy to sit down to a wild game dinner though. I’ll just let my son in law and his father head out the back door and get some on their farm. Call me anything you want, but don’t call me late for that dinner!

1 Like

I’ve had deer meat that would leave you wanting more, and I’ve had deer meat that I could take or leave. A cheeseburger or steak that’s done just right is hard to beat, though!

I remember eating quail as a kid. That was pretty great, from what I recall. They are pretty rare birds around here now, due to larger farm fields and/or the migration of “fire ants” in the area. I prefer large fields of row crops over fire ants. Whichever one is more to blame.

I go out on the boat to enjoy the scenery, have a fishing pole in hand just so I don’t look like a nut!

2 Likes

When my dad would take me deer hunting I’d carry a rifle along so I looked like a hunter, red vest, weird looking hat, the whole kit, but never carried any bullets … lol … .

1 Like

I did not enjoy deer hunting, but love venison, so I hunted when living out west. Stopped deer hunting when I moved to Florida. T-shirt and shorts is just not hunting weather, plus Florida deer are only slightly larger than my chocolate lab.
What I really liked was duck hunting, get to shoot a lot, yet hit nothing.

1 Like

Florida should be a great place for hog hunting. I saw several on Merritt Island. That was in a nature preserve, and hunting is probably not allowed anyway. We do have a controlled deer hunt one day a year in the state park behind my house though.

Yep, wild hogs are everywhere.

Are they good eats?

Yes they are cook it in the ground it don’t get much better.

1 Like

Those wild hogs are heading north. They’ve been a huge problem here for years:

To my understanding, yes very good. They are not like domestic pigs, some are descended from pigs the Spanish brought here.
Note the tusks. Quite destructive too. Was at a yard sale about 8 blocks from my house, a couple of young ones wandered in from a nearby preserve.