Do they sell devices that will shock someone who messes with your tires?

I have a neighbor who goes and let’s air out if other people’s tires. Do they sell devices that will shock anyone who tampers with your tires?

1 Like

just tie a pitbull to your car on a long leash and that will stop him. I have not heard of anything like that except putting a electric fence around your car. seriously though, put a security camera facing your car and then report him to the police if he does it to you.

6 Likes

A motion activated light might chase them away. Any booby trap outside your house will get you in serious trouble. People have been charged for hurting/killing intruders with booby traps inside their house. @weekend-warrior is right, put up a camera and get law enforcement involved.

8 Likes

Wow, thought our neighbors were bad. Best wouldbe a security camera and police, my thought.

1 Like

You say this neighbor lets air out of other people’s tires. Just curious, but have you or your neighbors actually seen this happen? How many times and/or are multiple tires flattened?

Just wondering if this could be due to punctures, leaky tire beads, or valve stems and maybe a story getting blown up a bit since you seem to be the one who has not been victimized.

4 Likes

If you provide too much shock, you might be charged with murder. You don’t know the health condition of your rotten neighbor, and it might not take much to off him. You could try the ligh with motion sensor, or a trail camera to catch the creep in action. One camera works on only one side of the car, though. Unless you can disguise the camera somehow, the vandal might vandalize the camera first, then do the tires. Also, ask the police what to do. They might be willing to help, depending on how busy they are.

2 Likes

I can’t believe you’re serious about installing a device to injure someone who touches the wheels of your car, which could occur unintentionally–for example in a crowded parking lot. Why not just search for tamper proof caps, similar to those used for refrigerant (but obviously not the same, as the service ports are a different size)?

Go to Google, and type in “tamper proof tire valve caps”, many versions are available.

2 Likes

One of the first things that I learned in my Torts class is that a “spring gun” has been considered to be legally unacceptable in The US for about 150 years. I was surprised to learn that, especially since it is not a new concept.

1 Like

They sell a device. It’s called a tazer.

Kidding!

2 Likes

That would get you arrested. Even if you only shocked the criminal. Booby traps are illegal.

1 Like

Can a motion sensor be adjusted to someone having to almost be on top of the car set to blow the horn?

Unfortunately if the guy has a heart condition even a little shock could kill him.

There are battery motion sensor security cameras that can be mounted in the vehicle. That’s what I’d use. Then give the pics/video to the police.

2 Likes

This is Old School but how about walking up to said neighbor and sayin, “Hi Bob. I’m Sam and I noticed that some kids have been letting the air out of my tires and I’ve been wondering if you’ve had a similar problem? Hate to call the cops on some stupid kid stuff but enough is enough. And BTW, if you ever need to borrow a hose or a ladder just knock on the door, glad to help you”

It’s a lot harder to be an ass to someone you know vs. a complete stranger.

9 Likes

Someone was messing around my house and car projects a few dozen years ago and I did something that would normally be frowned upon. I took two 1 foot square pieces of 1/2" plywood and peppered them with roofing nails before placing them on the dark side of the house by the bedroom window.

A few nights later at 2 in the morning a loud scream woke me and my wife up so I snagged the shotgun I keep handy along with a flashlight and went hunting. One of the pieces of plywood had bloodstains over a few nails. My neighbor a 150 feet away was also awakened by the screaming. I kept my eyes open for any locals who might be limping but never saw anything. Crude? Yes; but effective and problem solved forever. No cops here and the waste of time sheriff is 40 minutes away so one does what one has to do to settle the waters.

6 Likes

Crude, but effective.

Electrify it like a cow fence, need an extra car battery, steel rims as aluminum won’t be charged, and a bit of chain to ground it although I would think it would be grounded anyways just like the normal car battery is. Just what I was told, never tried it, and a switch strategically placed to turn it off before you touch any metal pieces yourself. Might not work on modern vehicles

Really bad idea . The person who gets shocked will return and do something a lot worse than let air out of tires.

1 Like

… especially the parent of any little kid who innocently touches an electrified part of a car that is parked on the street and who suffers injuries as a result. Trust me… in addition to a civil suit for injuries to that kid, there would be criminal charges of some kind lodged against the car owner.

5 Likes

Not suggesting this (if it even still exists), but first thing that came to my mind was that South African flamethrower that was invented during the carjacking epidemic there about 15 years ago. Anyone here remember reading about that?

I’ll weigh in. Not responsive to the direct question but it didn’t cost you anything. When I was on the Habitat board in the north country, we argued forcefully that each house should have at least a single car garage. The folks in Atlanta didn’t like it, but they don’t live where it gets 10 below out and people have to get to work. A second benefit of a garage is avoiding vandals. A third benefit is higher resale value. Something to consider or at least a 6’ fence with a gate if it is really a problem.

4 Likes