'Do "Fast and Furious" Movies Cause a Rise in Speeding?'

When I purchased my 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse I told the sales manager I wanted a base model RS. M/T, no gigantic “hatch handle”, and I would consider any color except black and white (which of course are not technically colors). He sent the lot boy out to find my car. He found one with no wing. It was black with A/T! I usually support hiring the handicapped but not that day. I asked the SM if I could look for it. No problem. I quickly found an RS, no wing, 5 speed M/T, and silver! I got a very good deal and drove it home an hour later.

Back in the muscle car era top forty music did a lot to encourage bad driving

Everyone knew that nothing could catch my 4-speed, dual quad, posi-traction 409. As soon as I saved up enough nickels and dimes to buy it of course.

Those were nice cars. I particularly liked the 90’s version. Absolutely gorgeous. And the interior felt like you were in a little space ship.

It was disappointing that the fast one had that weird St. Louis Arch of a wing - they looked better without it. I was considering getting one back then, but ended up with a CRX instead. Glad I did - turns out that gen of Eclipse had a lot of crankshaft walk problems that would have been way too expensive for me to fix back then.

the fate of the furious is on cable now. i watched a few minutes and got a headache. is there really a submarine chasing the 500hp cars on the ice and keeping up to them? breaking thru the 36" thick ice and doing 80mph? ok

Golden Earring… that takes me back to my Sophmore year in college when it came out. Loved it, and now my son in law does too! Good music knows no age. My youngest daughter came home one day about 13 years ago. She was at a neighbor’s house, and the son (her age) was listening to his father’s AC/DC albums. The son’s little sister (about 5) was in her room singing along and jumping on her bed to the music. I loved that, too.

Fate of the Furious is a movie. Why do you think it has to bear any resemblance to reality?

Maybe it’s classified? Subs can do 100mph? Or is that knots?

Yes, there is. In the movies!
The idea is to suspend belief and enjoy the action. Life is funner that way!

2 Likes

Might as well throw a sharknado in there too. No wait, make that a ZOMBIE sharknado.

2 Likes

Go ahead, I don’t mind. All I ask is for no Walking Dead spoilers. I’m a couple seasons behind.

No, real submarines can’t go that fast on or under the water. Ships that go fastest skim the waves. There are too many water molecules in the way to go that fast. Air is also an impediment to movement, and will limit the speed of something moving through it. That air barrier is not nearly as great as the water barrier.

Well, supposedly the Navy is working on a supercavitating sub that could go a whole lot faster than 100mph. The tech is based on a Russian torpedo that already exists and which does about 230mph. I imagine such a sub would be anything but quiet, though.

I couldn’t manage to sit through that movie even when the Mystery Science Theater guys were making fun of it.

The fastest ones don’t even skim the waves… they ride suspended on submerged hydrofoils. Underwater wings, so to speak.

A submerged submarine doesn’t waste energy making a wake which is why most modern submarines can actually go faster submerged than on the surface.

Here you go, and for only about $15,000, you can own one too. It helps to be young and athletic though, in fact I believe it’s a requirement. A local sailor has one of these.

Darn, I guess that dream is dead too! :rofl:

1 Like

I’d be interested in the physics of that situation @B.L.E I seem to recall WW II U-boats were operated on the surface at night to travel faster using less fuel than submerged. But that was reported on one of those “Twentieth Century” documentaries 60 years ago and what did they know?

Well, they certainly traveled on the surface to run on diesel power and preserve battery charge.

That may have been propaganda meant to fool enemy spies.

You mean they couldn’t run on diesel at periscope depth. And to think I had a lot of faith in Walter Cronkite back then.