Toyota acceleration

I’ve read recently that some insurance companies are going after Toyota for accidents caused by unintended acceleration. How would the insurance companies prove that was the cause?

Fairly frequently I read about cars which have crashed through storefronts etc, and they’re not all made by Toyota. Given this type of accident isn’t that uncommon, I’m sure there is plenty of data in police reports regarding the manufacturer of the vehicle involved. Wouldn’t it be fairly easy to check the data to confirm if Toyota was involved in more of these types of accidents vs. other makes?

I have no idea whether or not Toyota really has an issue. However, two weeks ago in my area I saw/read that three separate Toyotas crashed into storefronts. The youngest driver involved was 76. Again, I’m not saying the issue doesn’t exist, but does anyone else think it’s possible the media is making more of a deal about this than it really is?

Yes, making a big deal out of tragedy is what the news media does. If it bleeds, it leads. They prey on your fear to boost their ratings, and what we are left with is many who panic stricken because they are so easily influenced. I wish I could get some of these people in a poker game.

It just reminds me of the shark attacks on the east coast a few years ago. Watching the news you’d think the water was infested and hundreds of people were being eaten. After the insanity calmed down, I read that year had the lowest amount of shark attacks on record.

Have you ever seen a trial lawyer try to defend the inexcusable? Cast doubt on the obvious?

Just to put things in perspective…
"NHTSA receives more than 30,000 complaints a year; and only about 2000 in the last decade were related to acceleration issues with Toyota "
The government so far attributes 34 deaths to acceleration incidents with Toyotas since year 2000. This is tiny in relation to the 43,313 U.S. auto fatalities in 2008 alone, and a complete drop in the bucket relative to the cumulative 383,082 U.S. auto accident deaths from 2000 - 2008. Thus Toyota acceleration accidents account for just 0.0089% of fatalities.
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/70-of-toyota-acceleration-problems-happen-with-vehicles-not-yet-recalled-2010-2#ixzz0lfxEd9fe

Also, as yet, none of the contributing participants to Consumer Reports have reported acceleration issues.

How fast can a Toyota accelerate anyway. By the time it gets to 100 allegedly you should have enough time to
1- Shift to neutral.
2- Stand on the brake.
3- Call your lawyer.
4- Call the local news station.

most of these storefront crashes are done by little old ladys who cant see over the wheel, or know which one is the brake. thats irrelevant to toyotas problems

the big deal with toyota’s problem, is the problem is intangible. its not some part like a water pump or an alternator. you cant look at a circuit board and say “yep, this ones defective”. and until (if) they find out and/or prove there isn’t a problem, that shadow of doubt still looms over everybody.

its really fun to watch this unfold. you get to see the whole poulation consumed by paranoia.

"Just to put things in perspective…
"NHTSA receives more than 30,000 complaints a year; and only about 2000 in the last decade were related to acceleration issues with Toyota "
The government so far attributes 34 deaths to acceleration incidents with Toyotas since year 2000. This is tiny in relation to the 43,313 U.S. auto fatalities in 2008 alone, and a complete drop in the bucket relative to the cumulative 383,082 U.S. auto accident deaths from 2000 - 2008. Thus Toyota acceleration accidents account for just 0.0089% of fatalities.
Read more: http://www…z0lfxEd9fe

Also, as yet, none of the contributing participants to Consumer Reports have reported acceleration issues."

Still more perspective:

Very few people were killed in Pintos, yet Ford took a terrible beating i the press and in the courtroom. A couple of months ago, I looked up the Camry at the NHTSA defect investigation site. There have been complaints every year since 2003. Yes, there are very few complaints compared to the number of Camry’s on the road. But I find it hard to imagine GM, Chrysler, or Ford getting this type of pass.

After viewing an item on “60 Minutes” regarding cyberwarfare, I got to wondering if a competitor to Toyota hacked a ‘trojan horse’ virus into their software that would command full throttle upon a rare combination of engine parameters. Talk about cybersabotage. Just an idea.

The media, both print and video, has become a total joke. They sensationalize every issue from minor to major.

Just my opinion, but I think some insurance companies are going after Toyota simply because Toyota has deep pockets and they figure that perception is more important than proof. If they push hard enough Toyota will pony up millions rather than take a chance in front of a non-analytic jury that is 100% convinced Toyota is guilty even before the judge enters the courtroom.

Look at the hokey Ford Explorer rollover situation from some years ago. The media was beating that horse to death every single week. Apparently Explorers quit rolling over at all some years back and it’s twin, the Moutaineer, appears to never have had a rollover problem.

I Think Toyota Has Shot Itself In The Foot. The Company Has Been Portrayed By The Media As Being Less Than Forthright Concerning Recent Quality Control, Let’s Say.

Have you ever been in the jury box for any type of trial ? I have. One lasted more than a week. Having an image of being less than straight forward invites lawsuits and also can influence the resuts of a jury trial. Prosecutors and juries can be scary, trust me.

As Richard Nixon came to realize, a cover-up can be more damaging than a lapse of control over an organization.

We have a relative who recently bought a new Toyota (whatever the one is that’s like a Vibe) and she got rid of it immediately after the Toyota acceleration scandal hit. She bought new from GM. Once the public trust is lost then self inflicted consequences can and will result.

I’m quite sure a bigger deal is being made of this than it is, but my Mom and Dad taught me to be forthright or bad things could happen. They were correct.

I don’t blame insurance companies that want reimbursement for damages they perceive to have been preventable. They are entitled to a review of some accidents involving certain vehicles and circumstances. One poor guy went to prison over an incident that fits with one of these accidents. Having been on juries, I’m not so sure they have to prove total fault.

CSA

Yes, it would be fairly easy to check the data to confirm if Toyota was inolved in more of these types of accidents vs. other makes. But statistics don’t sell newspapers or get ratings on newsprograms. Drama does. It isn’t the job of the media to investigate the problem beyond verifying that specifically what they say is true.

It is true that crashes have been blamed on unintended acceleration in Toyotas. Whether the data is statistically significant or even accurate is not the media’s job to determine. That’s the job of regulators, investigators, and defense attorneys. Unfortunately, regulators are politicians. Henry Waxman and his colleagues immediately called for open hearings (read: face time on TV). And the plot thickened.

“Just my opinion, but I think some insurance companies are going after Toyota simply because Toyota has deep pockets and they figure that perception is more important than proof. If they push hard enough Toyota will pony up millions rather than take a chance in front of a non-analytic jury that is 100% convinced Toyota is guilty even before the judge enters the courtroom.”

Just my opinion, too. Duh. Auto insurer’s have enough experience with ambulance chasers to know all those silly tricks. While they are in business to insure cars, they are mostly in buiness to make money - any way they can.

Cynical JT

“Yes, it would be fairly easy to check the data …”

Espcially with the new data recorders we’ll have soon! :stuck_out_tongue: