Do certain cars attract less than desirable customers?

That’s the one place I’m not progressive. Had a guy in my car club way back in the day who suffered a car fire. Rather than pay out, those jerks decided to try to get him charged with arson. I wouldn’t give them money if you paid me.

It’s for any car with OBDII. MOPAR-specific codes will still spit out in a X#### format, and you can look up those specific codes online if they aren’t interpreted for you by the reader.

This debate (as did The Civil War) stirs too much emotion in many people. Please do not incite any riots here by opening it. I will not respond to what you said, but rather refrain. Thank you for your attention. :wink:
CSA :sunny:

+1 to CSA. Please, let’s not go down the political road.

As for politics, some cars DO tend to attract certain political leanings. Take the Prius for example. The vast majority of them have a bumper sticker supporting candidates from one political party over the other. Perhaps this is the best example of car purchase vs. political leaning. That being said, I once saw a Prius that was plastered with pro gun and “Don’t tread on me” Gadsden flag stickers so there is an exception to every rule.

I haven’t noticed such a correlation for more conservative leaning cars although I am sure there is one. Maybe big trucks/SUVs that burn a lot of fuel?

Thank you. I thought I had accidentally logged on to a political forum.

While I don’t wish to pump up politics here again I will opine that a great many choices in life are made based on a few or even one issue. A great many people in my neck of the woods were determined to never own a FWD vehicle and so they held onto whatever RWD model came closest to suiting their needs despite many FWDs that would have suited their needs better. Likewise there was an emotional opposition to imports, especially Japanese imports for many years, in fact there are still some who seem determined to remain in domestic RWDs even if it requires driving large domestic 4 door pickup trucks. As for politics, my state went from Yellow Dog Democrat to Blue Dog democrat to Hard Core GOP in my lifetime over a single issue, good sense be damned.

Uh! Uh! You just did! Right after @sgtrock21 appreciated @cdaquila appreciating @common_sense_answer for steering clear.

Thank you for your attention to the matter. :slight_smile:
CSA

I’ve always felt unappreciated…

Well, I can certainly appreciate that! :wink:
:man_mechanic:t2: (:point_left:t2: Keeping it car related)
CSA

I didn’t realize how important image is to many people in administrative and management positions until I was a faculty member at a mid-sized state supported university. We had a faculty dining room and I was enjoying lunch with a physics professor. We were discussing nuclear reactors. A delegation from the administration joined us and this delegation immediately began talking about what make of car was acceptable to drive. The consensus seemed to be the Oldsmobile 88. It showed that the person was important, but the car wasn’t showy like a Cadillac. . The institution furnished an Oldsmobile for the president and the president’s personal car was an Oldsmobile. This group thought one vice president had been out of step by driving a Mercury, but had seen the light and had traded for an Oldsmobile. One young administrator commented that as a younger person on the way up, the appropriate car for him was a Pontiac and that is what he owned. The physics professor looked at me and said, “Triedaq, what kind of car do you drive?”. I replied, “I have an old beat-up Rambler. It promotes the scholarly image”. Our administrative friends found it necessary to get back to work.
This incident took place in the late 1960s. The Oldsmobile make is long gone, but this type of administrator still remains.

Some of the professors drive “quirky” cars here as well. For example, there is a MINT CONDITION Ford Pinto Wagon with a funny road porthole window in the back. It remains true with all the 1970’s blues and oranges in the interior.

Then there is a Mini and I mean the REAL DEAL. This is the British model with the right hand drive so I guess they imported it as a historical vehicle. It is in PERFECT condition as well.

I am sure there are a few others. I see BMWs and Mercedes around the university. Being a rural area you also see a lot of domestic trucks. You also see a lot of small commuter cars, especially imports. There is a Nissan and Kia place here in town so I see lots of Versas and Rios. It is really common to see a big jacked up F250 parked next to a Versa in someone’s driveway. They have to have the big truck but want a small car for mileage.

I am a gamer as well. PC, not console. I’ve upgraded the computer I’m typing on right now so many times the only original part is the case. I don’t smoke, no roaches, and the case is as clean as I can keep it with 2 cats.

I wouldn’t be @cwatkin 's customer because I’d work on it myself but I know the type he’s referring to.

Awww don’t start getting political, it always ends badly. As for the “pretty liberal”, a better term may be “accepting” as we have those who may classify themselves similarly or differently that are still fine folks accepting of differing opinions.

1 Like

I’ve been enjoying the different takes on who drive what kind of car. Seems like it’s a very regional and generational issue. Coming from a town that had 5 divisions of GM represented when I was a kid. GM cars ruled the roost and foreign cars were for counter-culture types and professors. Trucks were for farmers. Japanese cars were non-existent. That changed through the 80’s because even the most stalwart couldn’t deal with GM’s bad quality.

These days, it is hard to categorize my hometown by cars since GM is all but gone from that town and people drive a wide range of stuff.

Southern Florida, by contrast, used to be defined by, retirees in huge GM cars on the Gulf coast, retirees in Huge Ford cars on the east coast and everybody else driving cheap Japanese cars except for the landscapers and farmers. They drive jacked up 3/4 ton diesel trucks.

Now the cheap Japanese cars have been totally replaced by cheap Korean cars. The retirees mostly drive Mercedes. Kids living in Grandma’s Florida house drive really beat-down old Crown Vickies or Mercury Grand Marquis that were parked in Granny’s garage.

@cwatkin. I noticed a certain number of my university colleagues who drove quirky cars back in the mid 1960s. There was a 2 stroke Saab, a 2 stroke DKW, and a Borgward. VW Beetles were quite common and I am not sure they count as quirky cars. I dated a girl in college whose father bought two Austin/Morris 850s. These were the forerunner of the present Mini.
In my dad’s time period as a faculty member in the late 1940s and early 1950s, there were several of his colleagues who drove Willys Jeep station wagons. Another popular car was the 1949-51 Nash Airflyte with some of the faculty. I guess these vehicles would be considered quirky.

Volkswagons crept into north Mississippi in the early 60s when someone got the nerve to open a dealership here and apparently the dealer built a great reputation for himself but when he added Fiats he found that he couldn’t keep up with the complaints. In the late 60s the somewhat successful local Honda motorcycle dealer took on the car line but I was called away for a few years. Likewise a very successful used car dealer with a great reputation for building and racing successful dirt track stock cars took on Toyotas and when I returned from my extended foreign tour both the Honda and Toyota cars were in new upscale lots and looking quite successful. And we all know what happened to the Japanese vs domestic car market in the mid 70s.

When i looked it up, the only hits were FCA related.

It’s not just the hardware cost, you need a yearly subscription too. Definitely a professional only tool.

Whoops - I just glanced at the pic, and it looked like a normal dongle you can get off Amazon for $30.

However, from what I can see, the hardware is probably just a generic bluetooth OBDII dongle with a Mopar logo on it. The software that specific one comes with is Mopar-oriented, but I would be surprised if the thing didn’t work with other software that doesn’t require a subscription. That said, why bother? Just get a normal generic one.

I’m willing to wager some of those trucks were actually built in Mexico or Canada :smirk_cat:

What’s in a name . . .

1 Like

It was funny but I got called to an auto repair shop today and required my normal $50 upfront. I started to explain why and said something about it “running off the bad ones” and they said we totally understand. You mean a large percentage of the human race! I told them they must deal with some of the same folks that I do. Unfortunately it seems that anyone who performs a service and deals with the general public has to deal with this type of person. The mentioned that some cars were so full of food and soda waste, bugs, and such as well.

2 Likes

Your post reminds me of an appliance repair company van in front of my shop many years ago. A man walked in and before getting to the problem with his car he explained to me how he had been robbed by the appliance company. It seems his chest freezer stopped cooling so he called for help explaining he had a great deal of prime beef that might spoil. A repair man arrived that morning and checked the power outlet then checked the fuse box and replaced a fuse and found the freezer was back in order and billed the man for a $35 minimum service call and the price of a fuse and the homeowner felt cheated because all that was done was replace a fuse. Of course the home was 15 miles out of town and the repair man likely had a full days work scheduled plus he could have lied and told the homeowner he needed a new condenser fan and jacked up the bill for unneeded work but despite the homeowner’s beef being saved for a minimum fee he felt robbed. When the customer finally got around to his car problem I ducked out with some 2 bit excuse to avoid any future accusations of robbing him. There are people who defy being satisfied.

2 Likes