Do Cars Really Need Premium Gas?

I am retiring from a job that I’ve had for 24 years - and will no longer have a company car. I am looking at compact SUV’s and so far haven’t actually fallen in love with one, but the closest I’ve come is with the Acura RDX. However, I know that you are supposed to use premium gas with it and I am thinking that a retiree should not incur that extra expense. Can you use regular unleaded instead or should I try to find something more economical to operate?

Thanks!!!

That’s a turbocharged engine, so I would use premium. Look elsewhere if you want to use regular.

Yes, the Acura requires premium. If you want something that runs on regular you’ll have to shop elsewhere.

Premium. Or a different vehicle. Using regular in that engine risks preignition that can destroy the engine.

Congratulations on your retirement.

Sorry but your car does not respect you employment status. It looks like your car should be feed premium. Not giving it what it wants will mean lower power, likely lower mileage and maybe engine damage.

If you don't want to fed it don't buy it.

Do Cars Really Need Premium Gas?

Most cars–no.
The Acura RDX–yes.

Thanks to everyone who responded! Appreciate the quick replies. I took the Car Talk questionnaire & the number 1 recommendation for me is the Suburu Forester - the same car my husband drives. It does get great mileage & takes regular gas. No Acura for me! Thanks again.

Sometimes boring is best…

Most, if not all, Acuras require premium fuel. If you’re looking for a compact SUV, look at the Escape/Mariner lot. The Mazda CX-7 has a new 2.5L engine for 2010 that takes regular.

Thanks for posting back.

Have a beautiful holiday.

I own an '08 RDX, and yes, while it does require premium fuel, if $3.00 “extra” a tank is too much, perhaps you should be looking at much more fuel efficient cars. Even if the RDX could use regular gas, it’s not what I would call a gas sipper in any way, I’m getting around 20 mpg hwy, 15 city, but I do drive very aggressively, something I feel the RDX was designed for.

“I took the Car Talk questionnaire & the number 1 recommendation for me is the Suburu Forester - the same car my husband drives. It does get great mileage & takes regular gas. No Acura for me!”

I think that you are making way too much fuss about the cost difference between premium and regular; it’s only $0.30/gal. For every 10,000 miles you drive, premium fuel will cost you an extra $150.00. As a retiree, how long will it take you to go 10,000 miles? Unless you commute somewhere, it will take you longer than one year. If you like the RDX, don’t sweat the $150 per year. Hey, that’s less a half-penny per day!

Once again - some great food for thought! You comments are greatly appreciated. Happy New Year, everyone.

Why do you actually need a SUV?,if it doesnt have decent ground clearance its not much better then a car or crossover with AWD anyway its pennywise and # foolish to run a vehicle on regular that requires premium.know people that do that with with SC Frontiers and the like.Whats the point in buying the premium vehicle to start with?Besides if you can afford an Acura you can probaly afford Hi-test.-Kevin(no offense intended)