Disintegrating passenger side CV joint deterioration

I’ve needed my passenger side CV/axel replaced twice in 3 years because of deterioation of the rubber boot due to oil leaking onto it from the timing chain tensioner port in the engine block. How can I best resolve this issue so I can avoid the repeated necessity of replacing it?

Fix the oil leak.

Tester

6 Likes

I own an older Corolla (92), but not familiar with your car’s engine configuration. It seems like the only way oil from the timing chain tensioner could leak onto the CV boot is if the timing chain cover is leaking. It shouldn’t leak at all. If it is leaking, the solution is to ask your shop to fix that leak.

CV boot deterioration can be caused by a grounding problem too. The starter motor’s return current is supposed to be routed via a wire from the engine to the chassis, then to the battery negative. If that wire isn’t making a good connection, the return current can go through the axles instead, which will eventually damage the cv joints/boots/etc.

If the problem is actually the timing chain cover leaking, and you simply cannot afford the repair, you could probably extend the replacements by cleaning the oil from the boot every week or so. I clean my Corolla’s CV boots at every oil and filter change, but there’s no oil leaking onto them, just clean off the dirt and grit.

My mechanic told me that his wife’s car does the same thing and that nothing can be done to fix the leak…

Then you’ll be replacing axles instead.

Tester

1 Like

Do you think that the dealership will have a more permanent solution?

Presumably it didn’t leak when the Corolla was new, right? So it must be possible to renew it to leak free status. That might however require first removing the engine, don’t know. When you mechanic said “nothing can be done” , ask if they meant “nothing inexpensive can be done”, so in mechanic’s opinion, on a practical basis it is better to just live w/the problem rather than spending a lot of $$ to fix it. Me, I’d want it to be leak free and would do what it takes to make it leak free.

You need another mechanic. Yours is full of bull manure. It did not leak when it was new, it should not leak now.

4 Likes

After further research I’ve found out that the rubber ‘O’ ring on thee timing chain tensioner is allowing the leak and the solution is to have the timing chain tensioner replaced.

You could just replace the O-ring instead.

1 Like

$12.99 @ AutoZone!

Too bad your “mechanic” couldn’t come to this very obvious and simple solution.

Glad you found the answer. Now ask your friends, neighbors, and coworkers for the name of a reputable garage in your area.

1 Like

I’m trying to imagine how oil could rot a CV boot, which is full of grease.

Leaking oil seals/gaskets have been killing motor mounts, belts, suspension bushings etc etc forever… The grease inside the boot doesn’t stop the oil from deteriorating the outside of the boot… Nothing new by any means…

Hot oil.

Tester

You can either keep replacing axles or simply replace your mechanic.

2 Likes

Isn’t grease thickened oil?

An oil drip hot enough to melt a CV boot?

No idea. CV grease is a special type of grease in any event.

Years ago I noticed the CV boot pleats tended to rub against each other as the wheel turned & got the bright idea to apply some WD 40 to the pleats. VW Rabbit. In less than 6 months, both boots split. I can’t say for sure if it was the WD 40, but prior to this, the boots hadn’t split or shown any intention to split in 8 years of driving.

I clean my Corolla’s pleats of dirt, grit, & oils on every oil change. I’ve only had to replace one boot in 30 years.