Disabling the Blower Motor on a Wrangler

Hi Everyone, bit of a weird question here for you all! I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler that I just bought and absolutely love. The only thing I don’t like, is the hvac Blower Motor is making a clicking noise like one of the bearings is starting to go (guessing it’s the original). I spoke to the gentleman I bought it from, and he said it’s under warranty for 90 days from purchase, but they will only replace it if it stops working completely. He suggested I wait a couple weeks and if it were to mysteriously stop working they would replace it. What I wanted to ask you all, do you have any suggestions for stopping it working? I thought of turning it on full and blocking it from spinning, burning out the motor, but wasn’t sure if that was the best option. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Remove the front blower fuse.

Tester

My concern is they would simply replace the fuse and send me on my way. Hoping to find an easy way to make it appear to have failed that will make their mechanic replace it

You do know that what you’re doing is more than a little on the “shady” side, right? If you pull the fuse, and they find out that’s why the motor stopped “working”, the dealer might just void the remainder of your 90 day warranty.

Personally, I’d either live with it, or go get the issue fixed properly. But I may be in the minority.

5 Likes

That’s what I would normally do as well, however the salesman specifically recommended I take this route when I asked him about it.

So, you are all right with being on the same honesty level as a car salesman. :wink:

3 Likes

Make sure it isn’t just a leaf or something in the blower wheel.

5 Likes

Hmm, valid point

a bearing would make more of a whining sound. a leaf or something else might have worked its way in there. I would look there first. it doesn’t cost anything to look.

1 Like

Overheating the motor could also damage the wiring and connector. A blower motor is not expensive, consider buying one yourself.

1 Like

I just looked at a youtube on how to remove the blower motor, looks like a simple 10 minute job, easy way to check if some debris is causing the noise.

2 Likes

That would cause the motor to draw too much current, causing the fuse to blow.

Tester

1 Like

Purposely burning out the motor isn’t a good idea. Damage to harness wiring, possibly starting a fire, etc. Like you say the fuse-removal idea probably wouldn’t work. I think the first thing to do is remove the motor and see if there is any debris in that area which is interfering with the rotor blades. That’s not an unheard of complaint here. Might be something very simple in other words. Maybe oiling the bushings, etc.

If it is not simple, and you have the motor out, I suppose you could take the motor apart and disable the innards somehow. But that seems like a lot of work, and whatever you do might cause other unintended problems. Suggest to just replace it w/a new one.

1 Like

An OEM blower motor for this vehicle is about $100-$130 online, with aftermarket ones costing about half that. It’s located just being the glove box, and should take no more than 45 minutes of your time to replace.

1 Like

My suggestion is to stop buying cars from this place

It might just have leaves and sticks in the blower motor that need emptied out.

1 Like

Well played.

OP, as others have suggested, there might just be debris in it. Easy to check. It’s under the glovebox, probably secured with 3 screws. Just drop it down and see if there’s stuff in there. If there is, clean it out really well. If it’s a food cache (sometimes rodents will drop food into that chamber), clean it out extraordinarily well, and then clean out the next chamber over (the evaporator chamber) extraordinarily well, or you will end up with wet ground up food which is a perfect growth medium for nastiness and maggots. Ask me how I know…

If you don’t find any debris, then inspect the plastic on the bottom of the blower motor. I bet it’s cracked. I just dealt with that with one of my cars. I couldn’t figure out where the debris was, because it kept clicking even though the blower was totally clean. Then I noticed the crack in the housing, which dropped the motor down just far enough that the blower was hitting the housing and making the noise.

That is a failed motor - they should replace it when you show them the crack. If they insist on waiting until the motor dies, then I would have no problem hurrying it along, because their refusal to acknowledge a part failure is itself dishonest and shady. What’s next, the gas tank leak actually has to set the car on fire before they replace it?

A few taps on the top of the motor spindle would drop it farther into the cracked housing and cause it to jam.

1 Like

Someone observed that even if you win the rat race, you’re still a rat. Be a competent person and fix it yourself. Salespersons are trash - you’re better off staying away from them. The cost in money is well worth it. I’d rather be capable than ‘win’ a duel with a salesperson. Another person advised, ‘Never wrestle with a pig: you just end up dirty and the pig enjoys it.’

2 Likes

He’s telling you to take the route because they can void your warranty.

2 Likes