Disable Start/Stop

I have never owned a vehicle with this feature. a rental vehicle had it and I just turned it off.
I do have a question though for those who might know. do vehicles with manuals have this feature? If it does how would that work?

I am also curious about that.

Mr. Google answers that question and also explains how the Stop/Start funtion works on manual transmissions.

1 Like

I guess I should have looked their first. I checked my online owner’s manual being I don’t have the car yet. there was no mention of it. so, I am guessing it does not have it. I would not want it on anyway. according to WIKI it would be useless here in Florida any way…

On a manual transmission vehicle, stop-start is activated by stopping the car, changing gear to neutral, and releasing the clutch. The engine will not stop if the car is moving, even if the aforementioned steps are followed (this is not true for all cars). The engine restarts when the clutch is pressed prior to selecting a gear to move the car. The engine may also restart if there is a demand for power from, for example, the air conditioning system.

No, it doesnt.

That explains why auto start/stop doesn’t irritate you.

That is becoming more difficult, even Toyota Rav4 and Hylander now have auto start/stop.

My 2017 Tucson thankfully doesn’t have it either.
I think it would be more acceptable if it delayed shut-down for 30 seconds or so (user adjustable!), instead of activating at every brief stop.

2 Likes

Funny thing came across my desk. I have a complaint from a customer with a 2022 Chrysler product with 5000 miles, who is looking for a buyback because of a serious flaw with the car. The exact issue as stated:

"When coming to a stop the vehicle engine should stop and then when I release the brake the engine
should restart but this feature does not happen."

Perhaps the customer could just trade with the many posters here who would love to have a new car that is “malfunctioning” in this manner.

3 Likes

Hmm, that must please the people behind him.

1 Like

Lemon Laws specifically state that the defect must be one that “materially affects the safety or drivability” of a vehicle, so a successful Lemon Law refund should be forthcoming if he can document 3 failed repair attempts on the part of the dealership. This is surely something that would fall under the “safety or drivability” factor.

Fails to shut down?
Shuts down and fails to restart?
To me the former is not worth complaining, the latter would be a big problem.

2 Likes

Yeah, umm, nope. I am by necessity quite familiar with the Lemon Law. Now mind you I have no position on a particular case until after the hearing is concluded, but I have reviewed the materials submitted thus far. And I can say if you present to me a request for a repurchase or refund, and the only issue with the car is a non-functional auto stop system, I will in all likelihood deny your request.

To win a buyback under Lemon Law, you need to provide credible evidence that your vehicle has a substantial nonconformity that significantly impacts the use, safety, or value of the vehicle. And that the vehicle still has that same nonconformity after 3 repair attempts and/or 30 days out of service. It’s possible that you may present an argument that a car that stays running at a red light may substantially impact the value of the car, but I can’t think of what that would be. I also doubt you could present it as a safety issue or that it would keep you from driving the car, but I’m not ruling it out.

At any rate, I thought it funny that while this thread originated as a complaint about a system that is operating normally but the driver dislikes, here I have a driver who wants this system to work all the time.

How would the car behind him know that his engine is supposed to turn off?

The complaint is that it does not restart.

1 Like

No, the complaint is that the stop/start feature does not happen at all. The engine is staying running at stoplights.

Isn’t that what 99.999% of the population wants? Even my 33-year old car does this, and if I plan to be stopped long enough that it would be wasteful, I can turn the engine off, and restart it when I am ready to move.

Ah, poorly worded complaint. Probably functioning as intended due to driving conditions.

In that case, then–no–he/she would not be successful with a Lemon Law complaint.
The “explanatory” statement was not well-written, and did not make it clear exactly how the Auto Stop/Start was malfunctioning.

1 Like

No. I would think it’s a small fraction of the population that doesn’t want that feature. I think most don’t care, and some actively seek it. I have (or I should say my wife has) a car with auto stop and it doesn’t bother her at all.

I suspect they may be trying to get out of the car, which is not as unusual as you might think. Customers with legitimate complaints often ask for a replacement or repair. I’ve arbitrated cases where it was clear the customer got in over their heads and was looking for any way out. I once had a claimant request a refund because the mudflaps didn’t keep the truck clean, as in he looked directly at me and said “I can’t afford an $850 car payment on a truck that needs to be washed every week.”

I’ve also had people request a replacement or repurchase after a successful repair. Something like a transmission that failed at 10,000 miles and needed replacement. Dealer installed a new trans, and yet the customer didn’t want the car anymore because “they no longer trusted it.”

Well, to be fair, I cannot afford an $850 monthly car payment either…which is why I don’t have a car with a loan or lease. Between four vehicles…a 2004 Toyota Corolla, a 2002 Daewoo Lanos, a 2000 Chevrolet Silverado, and a 1989 Dodge Aries…I do not spend anywhere near $850 per month, even including the cost of fuel, insurance, and upkeep. I am assuming that this hypothetical $850 car payment is just the loan or lease, and that this hypothetical person is probably spending around $1300 per month with fuel, insurance, and upkeep!