Disable 2003 Subaru Forester hill holder

Why can’t you simply refine your request to a legible question with some details and preferably some background on what you’re attempting to accomplish? 18 posts on this thread. and I still don’t know what your asking.

Attached are some very good examples of clear and concise questions and requests, followed by very informative advise and follow-ups that this site has become accustomed to.

http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/2159827.page
http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/2158902.page
http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/2159597.page

Please read them and that some hints.

Apparently the OP confused CT with the Psychic Friends Hotline.

WELL, IF YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT I’AM ASKING THAN YOU SHOULD NOT BE POSTING ON A CAR SITE!!!

Just for fun…What the heck is a Hill Holder???

I’ve followed this thread since the get-go and at this point I still have no idea exactly what it is that you’re fishing for. You’ve posted half a dozen times and have yet to provide any info at all.

Are you saying that it is disabled, that you want to disable it, someone snuck up in the middle of the night and disabled it, solar flares screwed it up, or what?

I’m pretty familiar with the HH setup but I’m not familiar with whatever it is that you want to know.

I’m just laughing now. I’ve gone from confused, to annoyed, to now thinking that this is just hilarious.

That said, I can’t find my “don’t feed the troll” cartoon to post.

A Hill Holder is a device on a manual transmission Subaru that will prevent the car from rolling backwards while on an incline.

One can stop at a stop sign at the top of a hill and when the brake pedal is released with the car in neutral the car will not roll backwards. The clutch can be released in the normal manner and the car will go forward just like it would on level ground.

(The way this works is that a ball rolls backwards onto a seat in this device. When the brake is released the brake fluid pressure that has been applied pushes the ball back onto the seat and keeps pressure applied to the brake pads and/or shoes. When the clutch is released a small rod pushes the ball off of the seat and the brake pressure is released. This is all tied into the clutch operating system and the HH device is mounted at a 6 degree angle, which is what allows the ball to roll in the HH. The HH is adjustable, degree wise, with shims.)

…and, just as a bit of trivia, Subaru has extended the use of Hill Holder to the new-design Outbacks with automatic trans, as well as manual trans. Because many modern automatics have a tendency to allow rollback on a steep incline, this feature may actually be helpful to owners of automatic trans Outbacks.

The design of the new Hill Holder is tied to the new electronic parking brake. When the HH is applied, simply pressing the gas pedal will release it. I suspect that the new manual trans Outbacks also use this design, as they also use an electronic parking brake.

And now, I’m off to surf the Psychic Friends website, where the OP may have decided to hang out.

The thing is… you haven’t asked anything at all.

I have never disabled a hill holder.Its possible there is a fuse that could be pulled. Check your owners manual to see if a fuse is labeled as such.

Actually,you told him to diasble his 2003 Subaru Forester hill holder.

You didn’t ask a question, anyone with a basic knowledge of English would know that.

I guess he doesn’t know how to ask a question. Even when he wrote " WHO ASKED YOU !!!" he didn’t put a question mark.

I don’t know how long “hill holder” has been around but my 41 Studebaker Commander had it.

I’ve been reading this forum for a couple of years now. It has some of the most automotively-knowledgeable people on the internet, and is by far the most civil and levelheaded forum I’ve ever seen. But I’m always surprised that the people here don’t clue in when somebody is just trolling, and the thread just keeps on going. I don’t believe that it will ever get anywhere.

On the other hand, I just learned how a hill holder works, so my time wasn’t totally wasted. :slight_smile:

Absent Subaru’s ball/seat brake pressure mechanism, are there other ways that keep a car from rolling backward? I remember driving a '92 Mercedes 300E sedan with auto. trans. that kind of held its position while on a slope, with the transmission on “D”, and foot off the brakes.

I feel that this car didn’t have an “active” hill holder mechanism, as the car would slowly roll back, depending on the slope and the load that I was carrying. Still, the little bit of holding power gave me some peace of mind. (AFAIK, the new Mercedes models don’t have this “feature” anymore–they, like most auto cars, roll back whether you select “D” or “N”).

Do some auto. transmissions have more “inherent friction” than others, such that they hold cars on inclines? Is there an auto. transmission equivalent of “riding the clutch” for manual transmissions?

I know the OP’s entry was a little vague, but I am sure he was asking "how can I disable a hill holder? I don’t know why he would want to, it is a very usful tool. I had a '47 Studebaker with hillholder and I liked it.

“THIS CAR SITE” has nothing to do with the fact that NO ONE can tell just what the heck it is that you want here.

Quit arguing like a child and get to some actual english language.

If you and four guys were sitting around a table conversing I guarantee you that you wouldn’t pose the statement – or is it a question ??? — in that manner.

GET REAL.

Thank you for allowing me to derive useful information out of this thread. I was getting a bit worried there…