Directional Tires

I have a 2007 toyota corolla. I had no problems with alignment until I got a new set of tires about one year ago. Since then, whenever someone new rotates my tires, I have a very significant pull to the left when I drive the car. The person servicing my car who put on the tires told me I have “directional tires” and that the front ones need to be cross-rotated to avoid this pull.

Everything I read online tells me that directional tires shouldn’t be cross-rotated! Am I being misinformed by the person who put my tires on? And if so, what do I do to correct this awful pull to the left that I feel everytime I drive?

Thanks for any information you can offer!

If these are truly directional tires, then they should NOT be cross-rotated.
When they are cross-rotated, the tires are running in the wrong direction, thus resulting in loss of the advantages built into those directional treads.

Truthfully, if they have been cross-rotated, I think the problem is that incorrect wear patterns have been established on the tires. In other words, the tread has been ruined.

It may be too late to save these tires, but whatever you do, don’t buy tires from that ignoramus again!

If your tires are directional, there should be an arrow and the word “rotation” molded into the side of the tires. You can also double-check the specs at Tire Rack’s web site.

If they are directional, you’re correct. They need to stay on the same side of the car (unless you dismount them from the wheel, which isn’t something you’d actually want to do).

Running them in the wrong direction is bad, of course. Presumably you’d have less traction than a normal non-directional tire, at least in some conditions.

Capri racer was kind enough to post this link on another thread. This should help explain it.

Directional tires should not be cross rotated.

http://www.barrystiretech.com/directionalandasymmetricaltires.html

If your car “pulls” after rotation, it’s usually because one or more of the tires is defective, the belt is not centered under the tread. When the bad tire is on the front, you notice it. When it’s on the back, you don’t…

I am going to disagree with Caddyman:

If the problem surfaces after rotation, the problem is likely a wear problem on the tires that used to be on the rear - and that points to an alignment problem.

But to be sure, swap the tire left and right.

If the pull doesn’t change, it’s the front alignment.

If the pull reverses directiom, it’s the tires.

If the pull disappears or drastically changes (other than a complete reversal of direction), it is both tires and alignment.

But be aware that the source of the problem could be the rear alignment. So do the test first, and if an alignment is indicated, make sure they do the rear.