Dimming of dash lights when headlights come on

None of those cars you listed had dash lights that were on when the headlights were off so you would never see them dim.

2 Likes

I like to make that adjustment after dark while the headlights are on, this is the only way to find a comfortable setting.

The nice thing about the electronic adjusters like on your Lincoln is they usually save a daytime and a night setting.

1 Like

Heck, my daytime dash lights dim when I go through a tunnel. I haven’t looked in the owners manual, but assume ( yes I know what that means ) there is a light sensor built in.

1 Like

It’s that little red dome on the dash at the base of the windscreen.

I started driving with my headlights always on with my first car. There was no photosensor on any of those cars either.

They don’t keep the dash lights from autodimming. The photosensor on the dash over-rides and settings.Just put something over it and see.

Huh? Reread, mate. I said I keep the dash light turned as high as the settings allow. The computer over rides my settings and dims the dash to the point the gauges can be barely readable.

I have done a lot of night driving in veri low light conditions, fog, blizzards and snowstorms. We turned our dash lights off and even carried electrical tape to cover the forward facing edge of side marker lights to preserve our night vision. I also carried Phillips and Torx screwdrivers in case I got a tractor that trip with the headlights aimed too high because that can blind you.

As freight haulers we used to laugh at owner operators who had their rigs covered with a lot of extra lights, thus blinding themselves. Many of them also smoked which also hinders night vision.These guys used to go at least 80 miles out if their way to get from Buffalo to Harrisburg because they were afraid of dark skinny roads before route 15 became mostly 4 lane.