Difficulty Starting

Have a 2000 Ford Taurus that would not start this morning - it would turn over.

Two weeks ago, I had this problem a few times and some stalling. I added some “dry gas” and it seemed to take care of the problem - no more stalling and no more difficuly starting.

Any thoughts on what the problem may be and what to try next?

When was the last time you had the fuel filter changed? I would see a good mechanic and have the fuel pressure tested as well.

I doubt if the DryGas helped any, although it is possible. Modern cars and fuels just don’t generally have that kind of problems today. Is your car driven often or only occasionally like once a moth? How long ago did you last buy fuel?

How old is the battery, spark plugs, spark plug wires?

Fuel Filter was changed 20,000 miles ago.

The car is driven daily about 7-10 miles, sometimes more. The battery is 3 years old. I don’t think we have ever changed the spark plugs or wires. I would like to note that on Saturday the car would not start. I put some more dry gas in and it started right up. We did not drive it on Sunday and then this morning it would not start. Also, fuel filter was changed 12,000 miles ago not 20,000 miles. Last fuel was purchased about a week ago.

You don’t say what engine is in this Taurus. Some engines have solid lifters for which the valves must be adjusted periodically. The SHO version of the Taurus is one. Generally the valves wear toward “tight”. When tight the valves do not fully close. Hard staring when cold is one of the first symptoms.

Not cold here in NY yet… 3.0 Liter DOHC V6.