Difficulty starting car each time I fill tank with gas

My car is a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon 6 cyl.

A few weeks ago I had all belts changed, new water pump, new spark plugs and a gasket seal leak fixed.

The problem started only after I had this work done. Each time I fill my gas tank, which is once a week, the car will not start. It turns over, but does not fire, and will not start until the 4th or 5th try. I then have to keep my foot heavy on the gas to keep it going. If I lighten up or take my foot off the gas, the engine looses all power and shuts down. In order to get the car going, without stalling, I have to keep my foot on the gas while I take it out of Park to put it in Drive. Once the car is in motion, there is no problem. Even if I stop the car a short two blocks away, park it for 20 minutes to do an errand, the car starts immediately. I have no problem until the next time I fill my gas tank.

It is hard for me not to think that the problem is related to the recent work done on my car.

Can someone out there enlighten me before I bring the car back to the mechanic. When I mentioned the problem to him, all he said was “that doesn’t make sense.”

Could you be more specific about “a gasket seal leak fixed.” What gasket? Is it oil water fuel door, window? Did that work happen in early fall?

It was the Valve Cover Gasket.

Could be a problem with the fuel vapor recovery system, which captures fumes from the gas tank and sends them to the engine to be burned.
Check vent hoses from the tank to the charcoal canister under the hood.

Thanks for the info. I will have it checked out.

Check the air tube from the filter to the throttle. Look for a loose connection or twisted connection or split in the pleats.