Did mechanic break my rack and pinion , please help

so i went to Midas to fix these problems

and when i picked the car and drove it i noticed that t the steering wheel is very tight so i went back to Midas and they told me that i need to replace the rack and pinion

the thing is i did not have the problem before and when i asked them if they caused the problem they denied it and said that there is no way they could cause the damage

should i belive them ?

and what do i do if they are laying to me

Yes, Midas could have messed up your steering rack. Impossible to tell from the sheet you posted BUT;

The sheet you’ve posted has lies all over it. First is say to replace both inner tie rods, then it charges you for an inner and an outer. Thirdly it says “2 wheel thrust angle alignment” You can’t measure nor adjust thrust angle without a 4 wheel alignment. They might mean centering the steering wheel but that is a stupid way to list it.

Take the car to another shop - a good independent, not another chain like Midas - and have them inspect Midas’ work and make recommendations on a repair. The stiffness might be the new parts not being broken-in yet or they may have damaged your rack. Steering is important, don’t put it off.

1 Like

I agree emphatically.
It’s important to do diagnosis before doing repairs. And to go to a good all-around mechanic rather than a chain muffler shop.

1 Like

A poorly trained, incompetent or unhappy vindictive mechanic could easily damage the rack in the rack and pinion steering gear by failing to secure the rack while twisting the inner tie rod to loosen it or when tightening it. If a mechanic doesn’t own the proper tool for the job and expects the shop to furnish it while the shop expects mechanics to furnish all needed tools it will be the car owner who pays a heavy price for the mechanic’s passive-aggressive solution to accomplishing the job.

3 Likes

I agree with Mustangman but the unknown is whether those 2 parts are on the same side. If they are then they’re not accounting for labor overlap.
There is no law that says they have to but in the name of ethics and human decency they should.
Two hours on an inner is acceptable. Two hours for an OUTER tie rod end is a bit heavy handed.

As for the tight steering, maybe the outer tie rod end should be examined for proper fit to make sure it’s not binding when the lock nut is tightened.
Did they make any changes in the alignment? Certain facets of the alignment could cause tight steering; usually caster.

1 Like

Looks like a quantity of two for each tie rod end, total of four.

If the rack and pinion is now damaged after installing the tie rod ends it must have been damaged during the repair.

1 Like

hmmm … well, first thing, check the power steering fluid level, check the PS belt tension, and that the power steering pump is actually turning when the engine is idling. The PS pump provised powered-assistance to the steering rack, and the tie rods provide a mechanical connection from the steering rack to the wheel hub (or knuckle) ass’y, pushing or pulling on it to turn the wheel. The tie rod connections have moveable joints, sort of like a trailer hitch works. If the tie rod lengths were incorrect or the wrong parts were used for the joint connections, this could happen. Seem unlikely, but should at least be considered. If I had this problem myself, first thing I’d have a helper drive the car slowly on a level surface and turn the wheels one way and another while I walked alongside looking for something unusual in the way the wheels moved. If I couldn’t spot anything, I’d remove the tie rods and have a look-see on the bench.

I think you’d get better results using an inde shop rather than a chain for this type of work. Suggest to use an inde shop next, if the rack indeed does need replacement.