Did Firestone take me to the cleaners?

I used a 26 or 27 year old brand new tire

[it was never on the road it still had the sticker on the tread & the nib’s from the mold]

about 6 or 7 month’s ago it came from under my 96 F 150 that was totaled 26 year’s ago I had a flat in my driveway & did not have a spare other that one I drove it 10 miles to the tire shop to get a new one & got rid of that one.

1 Like

Yes, I had an old tire on my truck one time that failed, started to fall apart, and went completely flat in seconds.

2 Likes

Several spare tires (full sized) failed while in the trunk. (The cars were old parts cars!)

Also, I ran a lot of statistics for a major tire manufacturer and structural tire failures were age related - and heat related. New tires didn’t fail due to the structure - and it took some time before they did (until we basically eliminated them!) Plus, tires tended to fail more often in hot climates - AZ, TX etc. Tires hardly ever failed in MN, or WI

And just so everyone knows: Tires do NOT use glues or adhesives, so it isn’t those that fail. Laminated structures (and tires are built in layers) tend to fail between layers. In the tire industry, we called that a separation.

Same thing happened to me at one of the big box tire stores, Discount Tire Warehouse. I needed a tire patched and I was interested in getting a quote on a NEW set of tires. The service rep went thru the speil about if this and that then we cannot repair and your will be charged rigamaroll. I LAUGHED and WALKED OUT never to return to that garbage! Drove 1/2 block to a local tire evender and they repaired my tire just fine! SCREW the big box tire stores!