Dialectric grease

please explain proper use of dialectric grease- non-conductive?? if you put it in a connector-does it help/does it not.

It is non-conductive. If it wasn’t you wouldn’t be able to use it for a lot of things b/c it would short things out by making connections where there shouldn’t be any.

It protects and lubricates. When put on rubber/plastic parts of connectors it seals out moisture, and keeps the parts from getting stuck together. This is especially useful for spark plug wire boots - but it basically goes on the boot itself.

I always use it on spark plug boots so they don’t get stuck to the plugs. Seems to work.

It really does help prevent corrosion inside the lamp sockets (where it is hard to remove corrosion once it is there) and makes it easier to remove the bulbs from their sockets. I also use it on the rubber seals on the headlight sockets to help keep moisture from getting inside the plastic lens.

The proper use is to put a SMALL amount on the connector in question, like a spark plug boot, for instance, to fill all the voids between the plug body and the rubber boot.

On high voltage connectors, like a spark plug, any air pockets trapped in the connection will eventually ionize. Once the air has ionized it will conduct electricity, albeit poorly, and the connection will arc. That means there would be an arc inside your spark plug boot to ground. Once the connection begins to arc it will develope a carbon track where the arc has burned anything in its path. That carbon track will compromise the connection further and make it arc more, until it arcs all the time.

The dielectric grease has the further advantage of making the boot easier to put on and take off because of its lubricating qualities. I also use it on weatherstripping to help keep it soft and supple.