Defogging the inside glass

My defroster in my car works so/so, does anyone have a suggestion of what I can apply to the inside of the front windshield and the side glass to help keep the fogging down?

Anything you apply will have to be reapplied over and over again. Probably 2-3 times a week.

There might be an underlying cause for the fogging. Leaking heating core…Smoker…Do you apply any vinyl protection??? When it’s fogging…do you turn on the AC??

First, just try a real good cleaning, dirty windows fog more easily. Second, make sure the a/c is running in ‘defrost’ mode.

The OP has been given very good advice.
As texases stated, one of the major reasons for window fogging is residue of some kind on the interior glass. I recommend straight white vinegar to remove residue left behind by other cleaning products. Ultra clean glass should not fog as long as you are running the defroster with A/C during damp conditions.

And, as Mike pointed out, if your heater core has a leak, that will really create a fogging problem. Check your radiator (when it is cold) to see if the level of coolant has dropped. If it has, refill and monitor it to see if it falls again within a few days. If it does, then that would strongly suggest that you have a leak–either in the heater core or in a hose.

While my heater doesn’t work, I don’t believe I have a leak. What I do have is a car with 129000 miles on it that at some point with the previous owner had a major overheat of the engine causing damage to the head gasket. I am getting air up through my radiator. My defrost comes on and does okay, but since it doesn’t get real warm it doesn’t work real well. In the car by myself the windows don’t fog up that bad, but when I add people watch out, all the windows get really foggy.

Does your air conditioner work?

You know, I don’t know. I never really tried it after I bought the car because I didn’t need it. Right now with how cold it is outside, not sure if I could tell, but will see.

glycerin

The reason that I ask is that the AC is a big part of defogging the window. It removes moisture. If it isn’t working, then the defogging won’t go so well.

On many cars the AC turns on when the defrost is on.

Excess fogging inside a car can mean you have a water leak somewhere. Do you have a leaking sunroof or windshield?

"On many cars the AC turns on when the defrost is on. "
Yes, on just about all of them. However, it won’t if it [the AC] doesn’t work, and that’s why I asked.

Nope the inside of the car is in very good condition and no leaks at all. I am sure that the car sat for probably 9 months, and it looked like it was lived in as it took me and my dad about an hour to clean all the trash and crap out of the car once we got it home. The carpet and seating was in good condition once we cleaned the car out. There was no fogging issue till the weather turned cold.

Yes, on just about all of them

I think it’s much closer to 50/50. Wifes Lexus, Her previous Accords, My previous Pathfinders and my 4runner the AC is NOT on when defrost is on. I only know of a few models that’s it always on when defrost is on…I’m being generous about the 50/50.

Excess fogging inside a car can mean you have a water leak somewhere

I wouldn’t say that. It surely is ONE reason, but not the ONLY reason. People who use products like Armorall experience it due to off-gassing. Smokers experience it too.

If your car has the option to bring in fresh, outside air, or to recirculate air, be sure you are bringing in outside air. My sisters Toyota routinely fogged up when she recirculated inside air, but cleared up when she used drier outside air.

Are you sure about that? Did you check if the clutch was cycling, or just look at the AC light? Did you check when the temperature was 40 or above?
A brief Google search does indicate that at least some Lexus models work this way [AC on].
I can certainly say that all Ford/Lincoln/Mercury work this way, as did the Toyota mini-van that I rented recently.
I stand behind my “just about all” statement. Anyone else care to chime in?

Are you sure about that? Did you check if the clutch was cycling, or just look at the AC light? Did you check when the temperature was 40 or above?

100% positive the AC is NOT on unless we specifically turn it on. The Accords my wife owned…same thing…however the Civic of the same era did turn the AC on when the defrost was on.

My 1998 Ford Taurus doesn’t offer me the option of inside or outside air like my previous 2005 Malibu did.

It selects outside air for you.