Decission on a new car

I’m interested in purchasing a new car. There are four vehicles that I really like, but I can’t seem to make up my mind on which one is the better buy. Can someone lend me a little assistance please? The four vehicles in question, oh and yes I’ve looked at all the stats, but I don’t have a real handle on the reality of any of these cars, are: the Infinity GS35S & M45, Lexus GS350/460 and the Audi Q7 (premium 3.6/4.2). I know that the Audi is an SUV and the more expensive one in the group, but I drove it and just loved the comfort just like I loved in all the other cars mentioned above. Can someone tell me something that will narrow my picks down to a reasonable number? Boy, would I appreciate some input.

If you ae looking in that price range, consider the Lexus IS-F.

Most people, including car testers, who drive the Acura RL or SUV (MDX) say they both are the smoothest and best handling they ever had. They are significantly more reliable and less expensive to maintain than the German choices. When you have that much money to spend on a car, you should also really like it.

Consumer Reports called the Infiniti GS35 the best car they had tested from an all round user-frienly point of view.

My personal choice would be the Lexus GS350, because of its refinement and best reialblility. I would eliminate the Audis for reasons previously stated.

You should drive them all, and not listen to anything the salesman says. A few days later you will know which you remember best.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your sage advice Docnick. That’s just the kind of input I need to help me make a good choice.

Forget the Audi. Reliability is not so great, and has been this way for years. Gorgeous, inside and out, I admit, but not worth the aggravation, in my opinion. They must sell on looks alone.

Although I’d never spend this much money on a vehicle, the Lexus GS and the Infinity G35 are two of my favorite cars, and either would be a wonderful vehicle to own, I’m sure. Both are “recommended” by Consumer Reports, and that’s a good thing.

I don’t know how the Acura RL compares to these two, price-wise, but if you haven’t already looked at one perhaps you should before you spend your money. The Acura (not an RL) in my garage is the most trouble-free vehicle I’ve ever owned, and I’ve been driving for almost 40 years.

If you want to buy a “reliable” Lexus/Infinity/Acura, don’t test drive the audi. (-;

Definitely don’t test drive a CLS550 or a BMW 750, they will take away your consumer reports subscription.

Which is why I recommended the Lexus IS-F.

I’ve never heard of it, so I googled and immediately found a reference to " Lexus?s characteristic numb steering and pillowy suspension." As I said, if you want to buy a ricer, don’t test drive anything else.

Most new cars will be as reliable as you make them. Test drive whatever you think might suit you and make your choice based on what you like about them. For me, it’s the comfort of the seats(enough leg room and the seats don’t wrap around my thighs and pinch my legs into the seat) first and foremost. So far only 2 cars have had VERY comfortable seats for me, the Dodge Charger SRT-8($41k) and the Acura RL($50k). a few have come close, but the don’t offer both.
Another thing to consider about your choices, most, if not all of those vehicles will likely REQUIRE premium fuel, so if you can’t afford/gripe about the extra 20 cents a gallon, look for something else.

These cars are so different from one another that they would not usally appeal to the same person. As long as you can afford it, you should buy the one you like best. All German cars are expensive to maintain after the warranty expires. If you do not plan to keep yours past the end of the warranty, this will not be a factor.

Of the cars you have mentioned, the Infiniti G35 will be the most entertaining to drive, especially if you get the sport option and manual transmission. (My own new toy is a G37.) Other cars to consider are the Lexus IS350 and the Audi A4, A6, A8 and S5.

One thing to be careful of is the oil change interval. German manufacturers recommend going 10k to 15k miles between changes. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, cut this in half.

You could pick any of them and have a good reason to do it. I don’t know either except that the Audi may not be stolen as much as the Lexus. But check on that.

What is your length of planned ownership? If past warranty on the Audi purchase the longest most comprehensive factory backed extended warranty on that vehicle. They can be extremely expensive to fix. The others listed Lexus & Infinity are not cheap either but reliability chances are better of not having major problems.

Also are all the dealers local to you? I would consider that a major factor as some state they get quite far and silly. For example Maine does not have a single Acura dealer in it. The closest is just over the border in Seacoast NH which is one of two or three in NH.

R&T seemed to like it a lot. At $60,000 it’s out of my price range, so I haven’t tested it myself.

The OP should drive one and see what he thinks, I haven’t driven one either.

Exactly. All recommendations should be for a look-see and test drive if the buyer might still want to buy it.