Dealership

I took my car for an oil change at the Acura Dealership. As they were moving the car they crashed it and the driver door no longer closes. They apologized and give me a loaner and said they’ll take care of it.

I’d like to get some sort of documentation that this occured in case there are issues that come up down the road. What can I ask the dealership to provide?

How about an invoice for the body repairs, including a list of parts that they replaced?

Think about it. When you take a car to a dealership for warranty-related repairs, you do receive an invoice when you pick up the car, detailing what repairs were done to it.

Even if it shows a zero balance–as it should–a repair invoice should provide the information that you want.

BTW it is usually not the best idea to use the dealer for service, unless the dealer is providing it for free.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

How about an invoice for the body repairs, including a list of parts that they replaced? …for the record, all parts will be listed on the dealers invoice if the repair was done at the dealers body shop. and if the dealer does not have their own shop the parts will still be listed as long as the dealer bought the parts initially and provided them to the repairing shop.

BTW it is usually not the best idea to use the dealer for service,/Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car. …if dealers are no better or no worse than independents then why is it not a good idea to go to them?

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new…and independents are just as guilty, it’s not the name above the door that matters but the wisdom and integrity of the guy with the wrench.