Dealership service packages

My 2006 Honda Civic is equipped with “maintenance minder”, which tells me when service needs to be formed and what needs to be done. Yet every time I take my car to the dealership for servicing, they try to tell me it’s time for the 3 year/30,000 mile package or the 2 year/20,000 mile package, when my maintenance minder is telling me all I need is tire rotation and an oil change/air filter, etc. The owner’s manual says nothing about these special service intervals and says the maintenance minder is all I need to worry about. However, there is no maintenance minder code for things like timing belt replacement (at least not listed in the owners manual), but I know this is typically recommended for Hondas at 80,000 miles. So, is my dealership trying to rip me off (probably), or can I really get by just doing the recommended maintenance according to the maintenance minder codes?

Trying to rip you off ? NO.
Trying to gain some extra work for themselves, yes. ( think;… “ya want fries with that?” )

Your choice. ( “what say we super-size that for ya?”)

You may just stick to your guns and re-state the work you want done and nothing else. ( "hows about that apple pie for desert?’)

“Just say no” to the padded extras. A good dealer will take no for an answer and perform only the work you want to buy. But they will always attempt to sell you more, that’s just business as usual. ( “Sandwich only ?? how bout the number three instead ?” )

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

I would have to know exactly what they are trying to sell you (saying "3 year 30,000 package " means nothing to me) and then look at the system or component on the car that they either want to replace or service in order to say if what they want to do is not required.

I shy away from the mindset of “it is not in the book it is not needed”. I say this because the person that wrote the book cannot see the actual car in question and perhaps a condition exists that was not anticipated when they wrote the book.

If you can say “they want to sell me “xyz” and this is why they say I need it” I will evaluate the situation and give an answer as best I can. My answer will be lacking in that I cannot see just what they are claiming needs attention.

Exactly how are you being ripped off? How about providing some details rather than blindly accuse the dealer of being a crook.

You also seem to assume that an owners manual or maintenance minder is the last and correct word on vehicle maintenance.
There are a number of maintenance issues that require service more often than recommended; at least if really care about the longevity of your car.

Automatic transmission? The car is 5 years old and has 30k miles. See what your owners manual or maintenance minder has to say about that issue as compared to the reality that the trans fluid should be changed every 30k miles.

I get the same offers and you have to look at the list of the items that are included in the 30, 60, packages and so on. Also, if I were you I would forget the maintenace minder and re-read the services listed in the owners manual. Things like wipers, belts, hoses, etc. are things the dealer checks for wear. They may be a little aggressive on suggesting work but nothing wouldn’t be done by someone wanting to take excellent care of their new car.

Thanks, all, for your helpful advice. I do appreciate that the dealership person (or any reliable mechanic) might notice something that needs to be replaced/repaired in order to prevent damage to my vehicle and that is not included in the automatic maintenance minder. My only concern was the fact that I don’t have any idea what is in these extra packages (change this fluid or that), and since the owners manual unfortunately does not list ALL the things that have to be done at different intervals, it is difficult to judge. I prefer the old-school manual that told me I needed to be prepared for this at 25k, that at 60k, another thing at 80k, etc! Each one of your replies has some valuable advice, and I appreciate you taking the time. Thanks!

It’s Unconscionable That Any Car Comes With A Manual That " . . . unfortunately does not list ALL the things that have to be done at different intervals, . . . ," If That’s Accurate.

I abhor becoming the victim of Dumbing Down.

CSA

Double-Check With Your Honda Dealer, But You May Be Pleasantly Surprised. My Sources Indicate That Your Honda Does Not Have A Timing Belt, But Rather A Durable Timing Chain With No Change Interval Required / Recommended.

However, there is no maintenance minder code for things like timing belt replacement (at least not listed in the owners manual), but I know this is typically recommended for Hondas at 80,000 miles.

CSA

“I don’t have any idea what is in these extra packages”

I believe that all you have to do is ask for an itemized list of what a particular service “package” would include.
Have you asked for a list?

Even though I don’t accept service “packages” for any mileage intervals other than “the big ones”–i.e.–30k, 60k, 90k, 120k etc, my dealer does have a printed list of what each of their packages includes.

The reason why I do accept the packages for the major service intervals is that they include exactly what I would specify myself, namely changes of every fluid, every filter, and–for the higher mileage numbers–things like spark plugs and plug wires.

The packages for lower mileages typically include things that are truly redundant, and that is why I just specify, “oil change and tire rotation”, rather than allowing them to charge me for simply checking things that I can do myself.

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new…independent shops are just as guilty, no one can dispute that.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car / There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee…If a dealer is no better or worse than an independent shop then why is it a bad idea to use a dealer other than warranty work or shop rates?

Please be mindful that it is not the name above the door that counts but the wisdom and integrity of the tech swinging the wrench and the advisor or writer putting ink to paper.