Dealer fraud?

I would agree, but it’s almost never well-received when we question what we’ve been told by the OP is a fact already in evidence. Honestly, I thought of questioning that aspect of the problem, but I don’t like the backlash I frequently get when I do that, so I chose to take the OP’s question at face value.

When I answer questions that the OP hasn’t asked, I tend to get into trouble. I guess I should go back to doing that.

Just a quick note. The glass company insisted that it was the right glass even when i called to inquire further, but the dealership says that there was no difference in the glass between the 2012 and 2011 for the Touring. They suggested that they probably tried to put the glass for the Elantra sedan rather than the Touring. I have “C” in the 10th place of my vin so unless there is some conspiracy on the part of Hyundai that is affecting a string of cars, I feel pretty comfortable that I did in fact buy a 2012. Thanks again everyone!

Some VINs are so borderline that they just come up wrong.
We have a wrecker that is quite obviously a 1980. There was a massive body re-design and you can’t mistake it. We’ve had it since new and it continuously prints out wrong.
DMV, Ford, and parts house vin decoders all seem to think it’s a 1979.

As a test of your vin, have a parts house decode it and see what they say.

You should have your VIN on the paperwork from the purchase. Double check the VIN on the car if you wish. You should see it through the windshield on the driver’s side. The 10th alphanumeric character from the left is the date code. If you want to make sure, contact your auto insurer.

B = 2011

C = 2012

Unless the car had more than 400 miles on it when you bought it, the Elantra was new. You may be entitled to a refund of some money, but it will likely be around $1000; maybe less. CapriRacer’s suggestion of small claims court makes sense. I’d bet that if it is a 2011, just having a lawyer send a letter stating the problem and a demand for a reimbursement of, say, $2000 will get you a check. It may not be the 2 grand you ask for, but it could be half that. And that’s not a bad return. Maybe you know a lawyer that would do this for you for free, or for no more than $100. It wouldn’t take her more than a half hour to do the deed.

I can’t speak for this particular car and problem but car makers have been known to make mid/late year production changes or carry something over briefly into the next year. This may not be reflected in the records and can sometimes cause all kinds of grief.

Some years back a reverse gear set problem turned up on Subaru manual transmission and mutiple orderings of the gear set always produced a set of gears that did not match although every record on the planet said they did.
After much grief and head scratching it was determined that Fuji Heavy Industries (the manufacturing wing) made the change in mid year and for some unexplicable reason chose to tell no one on the planet about it, including the sales wing Subaru of America.

I want to point out something in the original post:

“… According to my vin my car is a 2011…”

We are only as good as the information we get.

CapriRacer - that was what I was told by the glass company. I didn’t think to question it nor did I know how to research it for myself before I posted here. They said it so matter-a-factly and even contacted my insurance company, I didn’t doubt them.