Daughter with short legs and a Camry

My daughter has short legs and needs a car. I have a 2013 Camry that runs well. I’d like to give it to her and she wants me to buy her a Subaru. She says she can’t see the end of the car. Any suggestions? How about some type of pad she could sit on to elevate her to be taller in the seat for a better view. If so, any brand or product suggestions?

I’m open to ideas.

Sell the Toyota (she doesn’t want it) and give her the proceeds to use as a down payment on the Subaru she does want.

Pretty much the same answers you got in 2010 when you asked what vehicle for a short person and the other one about a tall person. The person will just have to set in the vehicle for at least 10 minutes and take a test drive. . Frankly if you are providing the vehicle then the person should just say thank you and adapt just like most of us do.

I’m short and I never buy a car without power seats with more adjustability. In the 50’s and 60’s it never seemed to be a problem but car styles have changed now. It wouldn’t be my choice but probably the best to let her buy what she wants. Beware some of those Subie seats have been reported as killers.

one of the important rules in my family is that the primary driver needs to be comfortable in and with the vehicle, adjustability of the steering column and seat height have been important factors for my parents in their search. A switch to a Corolla or Civic of equal value may be preferable. My auntie as she likes to be called (mom’s college roomate) is on the short side and has owned a Toyota Corolla for several years coming from a series of Honda’s because the Accord and Camry had gotten too big for her.

I’m 6ft with long legs and can fit into most cars but feel most comfortable driving something Corolla size at most. A friend of ours traded his 4runner for a new Forester several years ago to have something safe that wouldn’t be too huge for his daughter to drive.

1 Like

I got what you might search for, tailbone pillow. Bought a replacement for my rear ended trailblazer, need to tow boat and trailer sometimes, wife liked it so much I let her have it and took the rav4. Sure it is not as easy to get into, and not enough legroom to make me happy, but it is a good car and I can deal with it. Just saying sometimes you just need something that goes when you hit the gas and stops when you hit the brakes, and I am not going shopping for another car.
Give her the car and say deal with it or trade it in on something you might like better and the loan is on your dime is what i would tell my daughter.

You have not said anything about the age or financial condition of your daughter. I say, give her the car, but also give her the freedom and responsibility to do what she pleases with it. If she does something foolish with it, maybe she will also learn this early lesson in life.
Signed,
Abigail Van Buren

NO ONE can see the end of their car! She just wants you to buy her a Subaru and this is a convenient excuse.

Flip the argument. Tell her that is NOT where she should be looking unless parking. She needs to look 50, 100, 150 feet down the road, not off the end of the hood. This isn’t a car problem, this is a driver education problem. If she can’t understand that, well, then, she needs to give up her license and walk or take the bus.

See how that argument goes over. :wink:

9 Likes

Do you or wife have short legs?
None in family has issue?
Could ask them for advice?

What range of movement is there for the driver’s seat in the Toyota? If it has up/down and tilt, she can probably move it to a position that is comfortable and provides adequate visibility. Also, I agree with @Mustangman on this. When I gave my 1998 Regal to my oldest daughter to use in 2005, she wasn’t excited about the car, but was grateful to have one, and never complained. Her sisters never complained either, and we sold it in 2012. I think you are on the right track. If there is full seat adjustment, have her try that. If not, then a bottom pillow or back pillow may help make the fit better.

4 Likes

What in the world do short legs have to do with seeing the end of the car? Does she drive standing up?

I agree. But remember we are talking about a daughter-daddy discussion.

I do appreciate the discussion and advice from everyone. Given that she is 26 I think it is time for daddy to ease out of the financial picture which is why I lean toward the Camry.

heck no you need to see the end of the car, only seeing the wipers and above is an event waiting to happen. I recall those ‘low riders’ with seats reclined . No way I want to be on the road with those!!

Then tell me how anyone drives a Corvette? Or a Camaro, or a Mustang? None of these cars allow you to see the corners of the car. The roof is not high enough to see over the sloping hood on any of these cars. So explain how anyone would drive one, let alone park one.

More than past time. At 26, I was married, had graduated college and owned a home bought with the down payment we earned on our own. I’d lived on my own dime since age 18. I would never have asked “daddy” to buy me a car.

3 Likes

26 !! Good Grief ! I would guess her avoidance of making decisions on her on are your fault Mr. Olly . And if she really has trouble driving then it is time for professional driving lessons before she harms someone or herself.

Maybe that is why some cars have higher insurance rates? But I don’t know, I drove a Mustang for a very brief time I don’t recall that problem.

I drive one NOW and I can’t see the corners of the car and neither could you. It isn’t physically possible.

Yet here we are. We survived it.

The corner of the car is the bumper which cannot be seen from inside the car. That is the same for every car. We learned to judge the distance to the corner of the car. But that is only relevant when parking.

When you are driving, that doesn’t matter as you should never be that close to another car when driving. You should not be looking that close when driving, but many do and yet still don’t hit other cars.

2 Likes

Because of visibility over the hood of the vehicle ? Not likely . Might be a good idea to have your agent explain how rates are set.

If that is your def or corner than I have no idea of any car that one would be able to see the bumper of while driving, seeing the top of the fender would have been my def. But as you said we are still here :wink:
I like to sit higher up in a car, it gives one a better perspective. But again as you said we are still here. ( and enjoy your Mustang)

1 Like