CVT Tranny

I have been looking for a new car to replace my totaled Corolla. Most have CVT tranny with 1 speed (?). How fast can I go with just 1 speed?

CVTs don’t have one speed- it is more like an infinite number of gears. Who told you they only have one speed? They are incorrect.

ref

The term CVT stands for Continously VARIABLE Transmission, which means it has an infinite number of “gears”. So it’s like a speed bike which constantly shifts gears up and down without you having to do anything. This results in better fuel economy.

Actually there is a plethora of choices out there with regular automatic trannys. I’d personally avaoid the CVT trannys until they have a few more years of empirical data behind them. Although the technology has been in development for a very long time, the true test of their long term reliabillity can only come from their having been in the hands of consumers for a number of years.

I was looking at the specifications & it says 1-speed CVT transmission. Maybe it was a mis-print.

Just a note: I bought my Nissan Rogue about 2 weeks ago. It has a CVT and although it’s a new model of car, it is based on the Nissan Altima and Sentra designs that have been out there for quite a while. I am very happy with it so far.
Good luck!

Think of a CVT as having one large cone-shaped gear. When you need more power, the matching gear slides to a wider part of the cone. When you need less power, the matching gear slides to a narrower part of the cone. So, technically, it might be a single gear but it functions as though it has an infinite number of gears.

This is the way automatic transmissions were supposed to be; automatic. Some of them gain a lot of speed when going downhill but it’s great to go uphill without the transmission shifting in and out of overdrive. I used to just love that. The gas mileage was way better than I would have expected the other transmission to get. The engine power was a lot more also. There was no misprint even though the shifter could have 1,2,3, on the indicator. It was sort of an exaggeration.