Custom seat bracket

No idea. Were I in that situation, I’d take a visit the local metal supply shop. They’d have someone there with the necessarily common-sense expertise to address your questions. Plus they’d probably be able to make the bracket for me for a pretty reasonable price from a simple line-drawing sketch.

This is where a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Strength is relative. As you’re probably aware, things are designed these days to respond a certain way under stress/load. Just like the car’s structure bending and folding in designed ways under stress. Making things “stronger” is not always a good thing from a deformation standpoint. Same with hardware selections. People think, oh grade 8 is really hard, let’s use that. But there are many applications where that would be a very bad idea when the stresses the fastener encounters would cause it to break rather than deform.

No doubt, most people could alter their seat mounts and get away with it. But one should really consider the potential for harm coming from not really understanding the science behind the materials and the design. Especially for something designed to restrain you in the event of an accident.

OP states it is not a road car which begs the question, what is its use? Because the likelihood of a serious accident might actually be higher for a race or off-road car…

1 Like

Apparently the person is not going to let us know the purpose of this thing.

1 Like

Just a show car will be on a trailer and brought to shows

A Ford Fiesta show car and you are skimping on using real seat brackets . OK fine.

1 Like

Yeah dont have much money mate any suggestion or just wanted to know?

I think you are making this out to be far more complex than what it is. You don’t have to be an expert engineer to bolt a dang seat to the floor. “A little knowledge can be dangerous”? Come on. That goes both ways I guess. I’ve run across book smart engineers and architects that were totally out to lunch and run across street smart folks that found solutions that the engineers just couldn’t grasp.

Our neighbor engineer was going to build a retaining wall in his back yard. According to his calculations he needed something like a 15 foot thick wall. Heh heh. Everyone else seemed to get by just fine with a standard design. The Chrysler dealer was having a tough time with their diesels not running right (ya know factory designed) until they finally consulted an old guy working on earth moving equipment in his barn. He modified them to work just fine. I don’t know if he finished high school or not but knew mechanics. Etc. etc. Just think you are over thinking this whole thing. Maybe you never had a car old enough to have to fix the seat but it’s a seat, not the space shuttle.

3 Likes

Thank you sir someone who doesn’t have there head in a engineer’s book all I need is some steel plate to hold a seat down just wondering what would be the best design mild steal plates on all 4 corners or a box shaped frame made out of the same mild steel just trying to cut the costs to a minimum car wont be drove long distance or on the road