Crown Victoria pros and cons

What are your likes and dislikes regarding a Crown Vic. I’m thinking about buying a 2003 in excellent condition.

I’d say the only real drawbacks are that the gas mileage isn’t that great for a car-type vehicle these days and they’re rear wheel drive which can be more challenging in the snow if you don’t use winter tires, but otherwise they’re great cars, especially for as inexpensive as they usually are used.

Merry Christmas. You can check owners opinions at www.carsurvey.org.

Reliability and engine noise level are not as good as in older models (late 90’s).
Gas mileage is only fair. Interior room is good, and trunk space is awesome. Repair costs are low. Ride comfort very good. Lots of room to work in the engine compartment, if you need to. I have had 4, but now drive a Toyota Avalon, which seats 5 in equal comfort, and goes 1.5 times as far on a gallon of gas in town, about 1.3 times as far on the highway. I assume gas prices will rise again, and would be cautious in this purchase. A better car is a 96 Lincoln Town Car, if you can find one with low miles.

Yes, you have not said how many miles or under what conditions you drive. Also your financial situation makes a difference.

For a low mileage driver, gas mileage is not a prime factor, since reduced cost for the car can offset the cost of gas.

If you commute a hundred miles a day to work, gas mileagee becomes your biggest concern.

And, if you live some place where there is no snow and ice, that also changes factors.

The advantages far outweigh any disadvantages IMHO. They’re reliable and I don’t consider the gas mileage as being that bad. They’ll get 25 MPG on the road.
I’ve discussed Crown Vics with a family friend who is a member of the police department’s Tactical Team (SWAT). He’s pretty much lived in a Crown Vic for the last 10 years while on duty and he’s told me the cars are fine, even after going through the severe service that police vehicles routinely see.

My Lincoln Mark (kind of the sportier equivalent with the same drivetrain and more horsepower) routinely gets 27 MPG and when the stars are aligned just right, has been known to get almost 30 MPG. It will get 18-19 MPG in city driving and considering the car is a 2 ton+ vehicle, that’s pretty darned good IMO.

The car is going on 240k miles now, the engine/transmission have never been touched other than routine maintenance, and still runs/drives like new while using no noticeable amount of oil at all.
Hope those comments help in your decision.

I agree. The modular 4.6 engine and drivetrain are tried and true, more so than the old 5.0L / AOD of days past (which was hotly debated in many circles at the time of its release, but less-so these days), it’s got a tough-as-nails suspension, there will be replacement parts available for decades, and no one will pass you on the freeway.

There are a couple of cons, they don’t exactly handle like a Porsche and they’re pretty big, interior quality isn’t always top of the luxury scale (they’re kinda plasticky), and, well, that’s all I can come up with!

I own 2 of them, a '92 and a 98 and they both have been excellent. The '98 is an ex-cop car (P71) bought at an auction on e-bay for $2700. It had 98K miles on it when I bought it and it has 141K now. Only problem has been a failed coil-pack caused be me washing the engine… I wanted lowest cost per mile transportation and I got it… These are called “Panther Platform” cars and include the Grand Marq and the Lincoln Town Car. The Chassis in these cars is the same…They are one of the few cars you can drive for 800 miles in a day comfortably. The '92 gets a little better mileage, 25-28 on the road, 18 around town. The P71 17-24…They are unequaled for providing a smooth, quiet ride and low operating cost. They still use body & frame construction and can survive being driven on dirt roads. The HHP option includes dual exhausts and a handling package…Taxi fleets routinely get 350K miles out of them. They have ZERO “coolness” so you don’t have to compete with buyers who place “coolness” high on their list of “must have” features.