Cross Country Tow, worth the wear & tear?

Trying to put together the numbers on getting two cars from the Philly region to Portland OR. A 2005 Honda Pilot and a 2008 Toyota Yaris (2300lbs). Before I start buying coolers & hitches, I’d love to hear people’s thoughts on the wear that would be put on the Pilot during a 3K mile tow. Probably $800 to have the Yaris shipped, would I end up paying more to get the transmission on the Pilot fixed after such an endeavor?

Sell it or ship it…You have to use a tow-dolly or trailer unless the Yaris is a stick shift…Towing a heavy load cross-country is a Royal Pain…And yes, the Honda Tranny will cost 3 or 4 times the shipping cost…

Get a hitch installed and rent a uhaul dolly or full car trailer. What’s the point of having a big SUV if you don’t use it for big SUV things from time to time?

When I moved (like from FL to ND, and ND to TX), I rented a trailer, tossed the Jetta on it, and dragged it behind my 4Runner. Spending a couple days on the road - for me - is fun. As for stress and strain on the Pilot, nah…they even come with tow packages. If you have that, you’re fine. Obviously you don’t want to go racing all the way, nor trying to outrun the ricers on the way, but you won’t hurt it. 3000 miles is even within your service interval, too. Keep up with those, and you should be just fine.

Makes a decent place to put stuff you want with you, too. No driver (Yaris) = more storage space.

I agree with Shadowfax. I got this SUV (although I still call it a truck) so I could do SUV things with it. :slight_smile:

According to Google Maps, Philadelphia, PA to Portland OR is 2886 miles. I guess you could easily add another hundred for figuring things out at each end. Sounds like a few days to me. Heck, I’d turn it into a vacation and see some of this fantastic country we live in on the way.

Chase

"Get a hitch installed and rent a uhaul dolly or full car trailer. What’s the point of having a big SUV if you don’t use it for big SUV things from time to time? "

I wouldn’t consider the Honda Pilot a BIG SUV.

Last I checked the Pilot was a Class III rated towing vehicle. With the Yaris + the weight of the trailer…you’ll probably easily exceed the towing capacity of the Pilot. I wouldn’t do it.

Yes, the 2005 Pilot is Class III. Using top of the line stats (which, btw, are the same as the bottom of the line), the Yaris weighs in at just under 2300 (2295 hatchback, 2293 sedan), and the Pilot towing capacity is 4500 with AWD. I believe the receiver is standard equipment. I do see some info that points at a transmission cooler being required, but I can’t confirm that, and you may already have one.

Your best bet for more information is actually your dealer. They can pull up your Pilot using the VIN, and give you the details in minutes. Personally, I prefer a full trailer (far easier to control than a dolly IMO), but as MikeInNH said, the trailer itself is about 2200 LBS, so this may exceed your rating.

The Pilot is a unibody vehicle. So not as strong as body on frame, which has an impact on capacities.

At $800 to ship the Yaris, just ship it. You’ll lose time and fuel towing, plus renting a trailer, and then you won’t have to deal with it. I guess Mike changed my mind. :slight_smile: I’d still turn it into a vacation, though.

Check the price on the one-way trailer rental, westbound…That and your fuel mileage is cut in half…Ship the Yaris and enjoy Yellowstone without pulling a big trailer…

You guys rock, thanks. I installed a receiver and was looking at tranny coolers but, think I’ll have it shipped and just enjoy the drive.

You’re welcome…Enjoy the trip West…

Why not ship the Pilot and drive the Yaris? You will spend about half as much on fuel.

One quick note:

Having shipped many vehicles (both within the country, and overseas), I would highly suggest shipping the car as empty as you possibly can. Empty your glovebox, trunk, whatever else you can. Everything but the spare tire and jack. I’ve even seen floormats go bye-bye. There’s normally a requirement to have a certain amount of fuel in them (so they can be moved around), but I wouldn’t leave any more than the minimum in them.

Chase