My mechanic says that a “critter” caused the ‘Service Engine Soon’ light to come on, by chewing at least 4 wires, including a harness wire. What does this all mean? He said it was likely a squirrel or a mouse.
Yes, this is a fairly common occurrence. Mice and other rodents like to chew on automotive wiring. If you’re uncertain, you can ask your mechanic to see the damage he speaks of. But the fix ought to be simple enough – he just has to splice the four wires, if that’s all it is. Don’t get talked into buying a new wiring harness.
Critters can be attracted to a car because they smell food. Probably a good idea for you to remove snacks, etc from the passenger compartment when you park it.