Crickets in my Toyota

Hi there, I am new to this forum and forums in general, but I was recommended by some friends to check you guys out :slight_smile:

I have a 1993 Toyota Pickup and on Sunday, driving home from camping, I noticed my fourth gear had a really high pitched chirping sound. I figured it was bc I was accelerating uphill, and thought nothing of it.

Monday night, I was driving down the street and it started again. In fourth gear. It literally sounded like crickets in my engine…

It’s only in fourth gear, and it’s only in mid fourth - like if I slow it down (like I’m about to shift into third) or speed up (like I should shift into fifth), it fades out.

My brother in law the mechanic said I should try getting my transmission serviced, which I did, the next morning. It still makes the chirping sound.

It doesn’t make the sound when I have the clutch in, even a tiny little bit, but the second my foot it not resting on the pedal, it starts.

Some uneducated searching on google recommends checking the thrust bearing. I figured I’d ask for advice here too :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help!

Because it’s unique to fourth gear, and is happening in gear rather than when shifting, I’d be inclined to suggest a bit O’ claze on the clutch or one of its corrosponding surfaces (pressure plate or flywheel). However, the thrust bearing (also called the release bearing or the throwout bearing) is part & parcel with the pressure plate assembly and the clutch plate as an assembly. One changes all of them together.

If it had been only when the pedal is released and in EVERY gear, I too would have suggested the thrust bearing.