Crazy grinding noises in reverse, 1,2,3,5 gears

Hi. I’m wondering if anyone could give me some insight into why my car is making really loud almost grinding noise when in reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th gears, in non-4whl drive, and it does not make the noise when in 4th gear??? Is this clutch, transmission, or engine related?

Some of the “old pros” will probably tear me up, but I would guess you have a gear or bearing that is worn badly. And I am guessing but 4th gear probably is straight thru and doesn’t use that gear.

Forth gear is straight through the transmission, 1 to 1 gear ratio. The COUNTER-SHAFT is not under any load (but is spinning). It will be MUCH CHEAPER to repair the tranny NOW instead of waiting until it blows up and repair is no longer an option…

This is common with a hydraulic clutch master cylinder getting weak, and not releasing the clutch completely. OR any other reason the clutch is not being released completely. This needs to be diagnosed and fixed quickly before transmission damage occurs.

Busted, you better read the OP again…It IS the transmission, not the clutch…

Is the grinding noise coming when you change the gears? If yes, it is a clutch issue and possibly syncros in the trans.

If no, then the gringing noise is occuring all the time as you drive in noisey gears and that would be the trans.

Get it to a trans shop (independant is best, not AAMCO or another chain) and get it evaluated. Delay means more significant and more expensive repairs. Could be simple like your trans fluid has leaked out for some reason, or major so get it looked at ASAP.

Thanks to all of you for your help and advice, I really appreciate it, and will take it to a shop today! Thanks again!!

Is the grinding noise more of a ‘growl’? Is the grinding the same intensity through all the gears with the same throttle opening? If so it probably is the input shaft bearing in the transmission which would not be as much trouble as the countershaft or mainshaft bearings. If a bearing has disintegrated, the garbage will have to be cleaned out of the transmission or it will damage gears and other bearings.

Let us know what they find.