Corona car care oil change still necessary?

Due to the pandemic, my car is now mainly stationary. I read that oil can deteriorate due to temperature fluctuation. The manual recommends oil change for a certain amount of miles or 6 months whatever comes first. Is it true that oil goes “bad”? Car not under warranty, a compact car, I drive it about once a week, about 60 miles.

I would not really say oil goes bad but it can have moisture just setting . You did not say what year or what vehicle you are asking about. If it is still under the factory warranty then do the oil and filter at 6 months . If an older vehicle then just do what ever you feel is the right thing to do but do not go more than 12 months.

1 Like

Agree with @VOLVO-V70 it doesn’t “go bad”, but it will hold moisture, which will lower the lubricating properties of it. Change it every 6 months :slight_smile:

Of course your gas absorbs moisture too. You either need to start driving it or fill the tank and add a gasoline stabilizer.

You don’t say what car you’re driving, but IMHO there is a difference between making short trips almost every day and only driving once a week or less.
I do the latter and go up to 1 year, or 5000 miles, whichever comes first.
If I were making short trips every day I’d do 6 months.

The way things are going with COVID, I’m looking at 1 year and 3-4000 miles.

+1
I normally have my oil changed every 5k miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.
On the basis of elapsed time, this was due in late August, but because I take a drive at least 40 miles once each week, I feel comfortable in putting-off the oil change until early October. Since I have faithfully changed the oil every 5k miles/6 months previously, and because I don’t do solely short-trip driving, one excursion to 7.5 months isn’t going to destroy the engine.

I have been wondering the same thing. I purchased my 2019 ford fiestiva last august and did my first oil change in february before everything got crazy. Since that change in february I have put maybe 1000 miles on my car over the last 7 months. I was thinking at this rate I would hold off till around January to get the oil change, but now are wondering if I should go before that.

Your manual says xxxx miles or xx months . That is the numbers you need to follow so they can’t deny warranty claims because you did not do that.

2 Likes

I agree with Volvo, the most important thing is to keep up with the Warranty Requirements to avoid giving them any “wiggle room” if you ever have to make a claim. At $100 every 6 months that’s just cheap insurance.

Longer term, with very low use, I’d also start thinking about environmental protection especially if it’s always parked outside. Regular washing, waxing and a decent car cover will go a long way in protecting the interior plastic and exterior finish from UV, rain, snow and rust damage.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Choosing a car wax