Coolant system flush

Why did my check engine light come on? and rattling noise when I acclerate…one week after coolant system flush. Also the heat stopped working!!!

Check engine light means the computer detected a problem and set a trouble code.

Rattling noise is usually associated with pre-ignition. In your case, I’m leaning towards an overheat condition cause by the reason for the third problem.

If the heat stops working as you described, coolant is not circulating through the heater core. I’ll bet your almost out of coolant. IMMEDIATELY LET THE ENGINE COOL, then check the coolant level in the radiator. If it is low, check for leaks. If it is OK, you probably need a new water pump.

Alternately, the OP could have trapped air in the cooling system. Either way, it is serious and should be resolved ASAP before major engine damage might occur.

Okay, you tried the “Iffy Lube” like chain shop. Now it’s time to find a good independent mechanic to fix the mess that they made. Don’t put it off. If your engine overheats it could get very expensive.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

• What year and mileage on that Jeep?

• Have you checked the coolant level?

• Why did you have the coolant system flushed?

• Who did the flush (national chain, dealer, independent mechanic, Radiator shop, self)?

OK. So I went to independent mechanic garage. Apparently they did not clamp the lower radiator hose back because all of my coolant leaked out. My temp never said I overheated and in fact read cold. So now my engine seized and I need a new one. Any tips on how to get the mechanic to fix my engine? Other than a lawyer…which I guess is my next step if they say no. I have my receip[t and pictures as well as diagnostics to prove the engine is shot. Appaerntly this place is well known scam artists,I have been told.

Does your indy mechanic have insurance that will cover screw-ups like this? Find out if he’s insured.

He has garage keepers insurance, or at least thats what it says on my receipt. Do I let him fix it? Because clearly I don’t trust the work. Do I have a right to tell the insurance company that I want someone else to do the work??

You can request it, but they may not honor that request. Many full service shops will bend over backwards to try to make it right without having to file a claim to their insurance, for understandable reasons. Premiums go up with every claim, and sometimes their deductible is more than the cost of a used replacement engine. Unless you have a brand new car (less than 2yrs old/20k miles), you will not get a brand new engine without paying for it. If they offer to make good on it and give you a used engine with similar mileage, hassle free, no charge, you should probably take it. Heck, if you display a sufficient need, you may even get a rental car out of the deal for the duration. Don’t worry too much about the workmanship, either. A shop is made up of individuals, and an individual ACCIDENTALLY left your hose clamp loose. That individual will not likely be working on your car because he probably lost his job over that snafu.

Thank you so much for the advice.