Considering buying from a private party - what to ask?

Heavy metal vs classical? Who is more responsible to their car’s health?

Preset Generalizations

olivver,

My son’s landlord at college is a young guy, finance/banking graduate, working a good position at a bank. He drives a Mazda Speed-6 and takes excellent care of it.

A friend of mine was absent minded. He used to throw his dirty clothes in the toilet in the bathroom instead of the clothes hamper next to it. His Honda Accord was a mess. He would not always remember his maintenance schedule and wasn’t all that interested in cars.

Which one listens to classical?
Which one listens to Heavy Metal?
That’s obvious, right?

http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/02/autos/dont_tell_salesman/index.htm?postversion=2008070309

Hope this helps.

Yes indeed. Presets are just another potential indicator .Take it as one will.

olivver,
I agree!
I’m always curious what people listen to.

I guess about the only thing I might disagree with is the radio presets. I have got NPR, hard rock, hip hop and classics and more all on mine. I might be unusual, but listen to different things based on how I feel and what I am up to.

I once passed on a car that checked out fine but the owner was not willing to meet me at his place twice. The first time I lived with but the second time, after he got to know me, made me feel there is something fishy going on.

I try to ask most of the relevant questions on the phone so I don’t waste my time. But I have also noticed that at least where I live know honest sellers are difficult to come by.

galant,

I agree, except substitute oldies for the hip hop. My original post agrees with your idea of qualifying the car/car owner on the phone and if something doesn’t feel right during the buying process, go away and think about it. Usually, given time to think, you can keep yourself from doing something you would regret later and that’s not just with cars.

Where I live we are fortunate to still have honest sellers.

Chances are a 2007 can’t be hurt too bad. Find a friend thats a car nut and have him look it over.
How are the tires? Sidewalls scuffed?, Lots of parking lot dings? Lots of brake dust on front wheels? These things show a beat up car.
Do you like the car?
How long are you gonna keep it?
Hondas are good cars…Why is owner selling it? If he says he can’t afford it then he probably hasn;t afforded to change oil in it either.
Is there any warranty left… Confirm this with a Honda dealer.
Good luck…it’s your first car…make sure you really , really like it.
Paul

I listen to contemporary jazz, public radio, POTUS, AAA, and comedy; all on XM. Watch out for the comedy, though. It’s 4-letter words 24/7 on XM150. XM151 is not at all vulgar and still funny.