Considering an SUV

I’m in the market for an SUV that I’m going to be driving a lot. Getting married and the first trip is down to visit my fiance’s family in Florida from the Northeast. We plan to move to a warmer climate for work and are approaching the baby window. I’m not sure if I should be planning for little ones yet. I don’t currently have a vehicle. Thanks a bunch.

Check out a Highlander, RAV4, CR-V, Pilot, to cite a few examples

1 Like

I guess you are wanting help making a decision when people don’t know your budget or what feartures you think you need. The only person you should consult is your fiancé and after you find something spend about 100.00 to 125.00 for a vehicle inspection by a mechanic. Also why do you need an SUV anyway ?

The latest issue of Consumer Reports (April 2018) is all about cars. Many consider the April issue, and CR’s other car buying publications, very helpful.

You are making the same choice millions do and more make every passing year. Having been through the same evolution, I can make a couple of suggestions. First, if you are not already doing so, seriously consider a crossover rather than a body-on-frame SUV. Better in every measurable way except maximum tow ratings. Here’s another thing you may not know. Most manufacturers limit their 2-wheel drive SUVs and crossovers to warmer climates. Toyota, for example, will not typically stock any front wheel drive crossovers or SUVs in New England, but they will stock a healthy mix of front-drive crossovers in Florida. So if you are moving there and won’t need 4WD or AWD, consider buying in Florida, or a southern state. Good luck. Send us more of your needs and wants list if you want model-sepecific suggestions.

[quote=“GorehamJ, post:5, topic:113515”]
Toyota, for example, will not typically stock any front wheel drive crossovers or SUVs in New England, but they will stock a healthy mix of front-drive crossovers in Florida. [/quote]

Since front wheel drive is better in snow than rear wheel drive I have a little trouble with that statement. The Camry is front wheel drive so maybe they don’t stock those either.

I think the reason it is actually done is that most New England buyers want AWD or 4WD. After seeing the 2WD crossovers sit longer on the lot, they adjusted the mix. Have you ever noticed when you start at any automaker’s public shopping site they ask for your zip code? I asked why that is and was told that one of the reasons is so they can show you what is actually for sale in your region. There is no AWD Camry option. So there is no mix consideration to the inventory from that perspective.

Given that ‘SUV’ can range from small (Honda HRV) to HUGE (Suburban), you’ll have to give us lots more information on your needs/wants/use/budget/etc.

My daughter has a Mazda CX-5 and is very happy with it. It gets decent mileage. She has the no longer available 2L engine. The only engine available now is the peppy 2.5L engine. The CX-5 is also reliable. Look at pictures and reviews on line and it you like it, test drive it. It’s a good size and cost for a small family. The cost I spend about $26,000 to $27,000 for a basic, new Sport model. They have been around long enough to be available used, too.

We’ve had a Blazer and a Vue and currently have a CRV and RAV4. I like the gas mileage on the CRV and RAV4, but it’s not as big as I’d like when going on trips. We may consider a rental for future trips. I’d only consider the larger ones (think Suburban) if we had to regularly carry more cargo or 4 adults or took a lot of trips or i was a travelling salesman. The cost, trouble to park, and gas mileage just aren’t worth it for me.

Frankly, I would rather have a sedan of some sort but I need to haul small amounts of cargo, tools, furniture, and the like often enough that a SUV is much more practical.

WI is snowy weather, got a Rav4 last Sept, plenty of choice for awd or 2wd rav 4’s. Granted maybe the 2wd were not selling, but I think WI should not rate too much farther down the list of states that want awd or 4wd.