Complete loss of power when accelerating 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

The below is from my girlfriend, about her 1994 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 100,000 miles:

Driving out to see my BF this afternoon I noticed when I accelerated it hesitated a bit. I didn’t think anything of it so I let it go. Driving home was another story. I was about 5 miles from home coming up to a red light and I started to brake, the light turned green and I hit the accelerator and I got no juice, I got across the highway and started to brake and the brakes locked up, the steering wheel locked up and then I lost all power. I got the Jeep to stop (right at the exit to a train station ) I tried to turn it back on and got no juice. I just got a new battery about 3 weeks ago. I called my BF, then I called 911 so someone could help get me out of the way since I was stuck in the middle of the road right outside the railroad station.
Officer asked me to try to crank the engine again, asked if I had gas (have 1/2 tank) and then got me pushed into a spot until I can get a tow to my house in the morning.

The car has been fine, I never put “off” gas in, try not to let the gas get below half a tank.

I don’t know what the issue could be and if anyone here can help a girl out I’d very much appreciate it.

Any tips? Thanks in advance.

D

Does the car crank at all or just dead? The alternator may not be charging the battery. If the battery is still good and the alternator is good, the ignition switch could be bad. Or it could be corroded battery terminal that need cleaning. Have you tried jumping it?