Commuter Car that doesnt wear out driver

Does anyone have a great commuter car ( read as 25 mpg average mixed driving ) that can also take a fold up wheel chair in the trunk, ( daughter ) that doesnt wear out the man who spends 70 minutes a day in it. I really want to think sedan for once. Right now I have the car indicated, pretty good.

Can you give us an idea of what you mean by a car that wears out a driver who spends 70 minutes a day in it?

Are you talking about the comfort level of the seats? If that is the case, this is an issue that is so specific to the individual that nobody but you can judge whether the seat is comfortable for you.

Are you talking about ride comfort? Again, this is something that only you can determine, based on your preferences. I prefer a firm ride and would probably feel uneasy after riding in a Buick for 70 minutes, but you might like a pillow-soft ride.

Are you talking about the interior noise level? Again, this is something that you should judge for yourself, but I will say that Hondas and Acuras are noted for having higher interior noise levels than most of their competitors.

Are you talking about steering effort? With the advent of power steering, this should not really be an issue anymore.

Are you talking about the amount of effort it takes to apply the brakes? Again, with power assist, this should not be much of an issue unless someone lacks strength in his/her legs.

Please give us an idea of what you mean by a car that would “wear out” a driver.

I am surprised at how comfortable my 2009 Corolla is. I am 6 ft and have plenty of leg room, the trunk is big. I take a few 5 hour trips each year but mostly have a 20 minute commute to work. I would buy another one. You might try to rent a few different cars on the weekends (rates usually cheaper) to try them out. Like VDCdriver says everyone’s definition of comfort is different.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

My wifes lexus is an extremely comfortable car to drive and averages mid 20’s around town and 32-34 highway. Very comfortable…very quiet…Extremely reliable…

There are a number of vehicles that won’t break the bank or your back. I would try the Hyundai Elantra Touring; it’s an econimcal and comfortable Hatchback with tons of room for your wheelchair. Also the Toyota Matrix; massive room inthe back with the seat folded flat.

A new one on the block and fairly quiet and very econimcal is the Ford Fiesta Hatchback. I’s the only really small car I would recommend; the rest are all too noisy.

Ford Focus is available as a hatchback, and is both economical and comfortable.

Doc

Have you forgotten that we had two people who posted about their extreme dissatisfaction with the ride quality of the Elantra Touring model? While I haven’t had a chance to ride in one, I do recall that one of the complaining folks compared the ride to that of a truck.

While we still don’t know what the OP means by a car that “wears you out”, I suspect that a truck-like ride might be something that he wants to avoid.

An old friend and customer whose daughter also requires a wheel chair is on his third Dodge Caravan. He apparently can find nothing that suits him and her better. There is a lift on the van that has enabled them to travel easily with no additional help. Fuel mileage may be in the acceptable range. Comfort is very individual, though.

Everyone is different. The Elantra may work well for Petepat1. He’ll just have to drive one to see. Petepat1, you might also look at a Honda Fit. It’s roomy for a small hatchback. You will need to put the rear seats down to carry the wheelchair. If you only need seating for 2 when your daughter is in the car, this might work. Another possibility is the Honda Accord Crosstour. It will cost almost twice as much as the Fit, but provides a lot more room and most people would probably find a larger car more comfortable as a commuter. A 3rd option is a Chevy Equinox LT1. It gets better mileage than the Crosstour and will provide room for the wheelchair and 4 or 5 passengers. Test drive them all and see if any work for you. Don’t forget to check out how well the wheelchair fits and determine if there is extra room for cargo if that matters.

VDC; the standard Elantra Touring is basically an Elantra Hatchback. This car rides as well as Corolla or Civic. The Sports model would ride hard.

There are performance models for nearly all compact cars. A Mazda3 Sport Hatchback, for is not very comfortable, for innstance.

Our best advice is to have OP try these cars and see if he likes them. Two years ago I went on a 2 week vacation in a rented Hyundai Accent and found it a “quiet enough” and comfortable vehicle.

On the other hand, another poster bought a Honda Fit “Sport” by accident and thoroughly disliked it. The Honda Fit (in all its forms), the Toyata Yaris, and some other small cars are NOISY. That would be my main objection to buying them. I find noise more tiring than a firm ride. Nearly all minians are noisy compared to cars.

The quietest car for the money is probably the new Hyundai Sonata. It has a large trunk, rides smoothly and is quiet.

Unfortunately, the OP has not returned to answer the question that I posed two days ago, namely–What factors doessthe OP take into consideration for his/her definition of “a car that wears out a driver who spends 70 minutes a day in it?”

Is the OP thinking about ride quality?
Interior noise levels?
Steering effort?
Braking effort?
Seat comfort?

Why do people pose questions in their initial post and then fail to repond to requests for clarification?