Column shift cars

i’ve had a shift on the column for more years then you are old. and i don’t think this is the time to start something new. is there a colum shift car out there somewhere to buy. what make and year and where?

There are many minivans that still have the shifters on the steering columns, but I can’t think of any cars.

Of all the changes to adapt to, this one shouldn’t be that hard. After all, you did make the transition to power brakes and power steering, right?

You didn’t specify automatic or manual transmission, but I will assume that you are referring to cars with an automatic trans.

The models that you should focus on are the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Buick LeSabre–the ones that appeal mostly to those…of a certain age.

Another possibility is the Toyota Avalon, but I could very well be wrong about that model. I mention the Avalon because at one time they could be optioned with a front bench seat, and that would necessitate a column shift. But, that could well have changed over the years.

The Crown Vic and Grand Marquis will only be found on the used car market, but if you are lucky, you will be able to find samples that are only a couple of years old and in good condition. And, these cars tend to be very reliable.

If you are looking for a stick shift on the column (manual trans) you are out of luck. I don’t think they are made that way anymore.

If you want an automatic on the column there are a few out there. You’ll just have to shop until you find one. My '01 Toyota Sequoia has a column shifter.

There are a couple of new cars with shifter on the dashboard, pretty close to a column shifter, perhaps you’ll like that idea. I think the Toyota Prius, Honda Element, and perhaps the Honda Fit are set up this way.

Some new Mercedes models have reverted back to column mounded automatic transmission selectors. If you mean manual transmissions, column mount went out back in the 1960’s.

The last “3 on the tree” column shift car I drove was a 1977 Chevrolet Chevelle. Even trucks that had the manual transmission with the shift on the column all had floor mounted shifters at this point.